What would you do if attacked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone tried to mug me several years ago in a parking lot. The second I realized what they were trying to do I hit them square in the nose as hard as I could, it ended right there. Quick decisive action is your best bet. If carrying a firearm is something you are comfortable doing and it is allowed where you are that is another option. Pepper spray is another option that is highly effective. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to take a self defense course, just make sure they teach you more than a few grappling techniques which against a very large attacker would be truly useless. Whatever you decide to do you just need to make sure you are comfortable with it and that you won't hesitate. For some people that means running, for some that means fighting.

I would suggest carrying pepper spray and finding a job in a safer neighborhood.

Can you prevent an attck entirely? Probably not...but you can decrease the chances of it happening.

I think if I where attacked I would put up a fight, may not be a good one but at least I would try. Oh Leah you need to move before this happens to you girl. I'm not sure what you do for a living but I am sure you can find a job here in the Keys, You have an open invite, you can come live with me and the kids and on your days off you can dive and just have fun.

Hemlon:
I would suggest carrying pepper spray and finding a job in a safer neighborhood.

Can you prevent an attck entirely? Probably not...but you can decrease the chances of it happening.

In most attack scenarios you have no more than a second or two to react...as illustrated by TxHockeyGuy's story. Unless you have that pepper spray in your hand at all times, it will only provide a false sense of security. A predator is not going to wait for you to get it out of your bag or pocket. Also, pepper spray will do nothing to disarm him and in many cases won't do nearly enough to incapacitate him.

Also, what's a safer neighborhood? As the events of this week have illustrated, there is no such thing. Sadly, we all have to be prepared to defend ourselves no matter where we are.

Get some self defense training. In just a couple of hours you will learn how to defend yourself enough to be able to get away and run for your life. It's priceless information.

Mountain Dog

I'm sure lots of people will beat me up for this one, but....

I have a Concealed Carry Permit- and I carry- and I know (quite well) how to use it. I fully support Florida's "castle doctrine" and it's recent expansions.

Mountain Dog:
In most attack scenarios you have no more than a second or two to react...as illustrated by TxHockeyGuy's story. Unless you have that pepper spray in your hand at all times, it will only provide a false sense of security. A predator is not going to wait for you to get it out of your bag or pocket. Also, pepper spray will do nothing to disarm him and in many cases won't do nearly enough to incapacitate him.

Also, what's a safer neighborhood? As the events of this week have illustrated, there is no such thing. Sadly, we all have to be prepared to defend ourselves no matter where we are.

Get some self defense training. In just a couple of hours you will learn how to defend yourself enough to be able to get away and run for your life. It's priceless information.

Mountain Dog

Regarding pepper spray, I carry it in my dominate hand when I am in situations where there is an INCREASED risk of assault. Since I'm a nurse, I am often on call. During those 2 am treks to the hospital, I have it out and ready while walking to and from my car.

Does this eliminate the risk? No. If you will read my post again, you will see that there is NO way to eliminate the risk.

BUT there ARE times when the risk is increased. Statistically speaking, women are at an increased risk after dark and when entering and exiting a vehicle.

Does this mean that you won't be assaulted at 3 pm in your front yard?? No, but that is not when these incidents happen STATISTICALLY.

As for safe neighborhoods, there is NO such thing as a completely safe neighborhood. But (Picking up on a trend here? Good boy!) there are safer neighborhoods than others STATISTICALLY.

My suggestion is to do whatever one can do to decrease the risk. Does that mean carrying pepper spray? Changing employment to a safer neighborhood? Getting martial art training? Carrying a gun?

Each person has to answer that question!

It's easy to sit back and think what you would do.

I was impressed by the guy that said when the shooting started he just went cowering into the fetal position shaking. Then he realized they had to do something and they pushed the table against the door. The shooter shot through the door but they held the table in place, that takes guts.

His first reaction though was just going into the fetal position and shaking. I'm sure if he was posting (before that happened) what he would do in an incident, that wouldn't be his answer

The shooter deserves a memorial, a functioning granite outhouse on his grave would be appropriate.

chickdiver:
I'm sure lots of people will beat me up for this one, but....

I have a Concealed Carry Permit- and I carry- and I know (quite well) how to use it. I fully support Florida's "castle doctrine" and it's recent expansions.

No whoop-asses from me...I think it's awesome!

You go, girl!

Have been and fought back abruptly and very unexpectedly. Stay aware of surroundings, anticipate what you can, and do not be shy to do something because its not part of some 'rules of engagement' crap that percieved chivalry and fairy tales tell us. :)

If you have not seen this, watch it: http://www.guzer.com/videos/hides_guns.php

Hemlon:
Regarding pepper spray, I carry it in my dominate hand when I am in situations where there is an INCREASED risk of assault. Since I'm a nurse, I am often on call. During those 2 am treks to the hospital, I have it out and ready while walking to and from my car.

Does this eliminate the risk? No. If you will read my post again, you will see that there is NO way to eliminate the risk.

BUT there ARE times when the risk is increased. Statistically speaking, women are at an increased risk after dark and when entering and exiting a vehicle.

Does this mean that you won't be assaulted at 3 pm in your front yard?? No, but that is not when these incidents happen STATISTICALLY.

As for safe neighborhoods, there is NO such thing as a completely safe neighborhood. But (Picking up on a trend here? Good boy!) there are safer neighborhoods than others STATISTICALLY.

My suggestion is to do whatever one can do to decrease the risk. Does that mean carrying pepper spray? Changing employment to a safer neighborhood? Getting martial art training? Carrying a gun?

Each person has to answer that question!

No need to be insulting here. If you want to live by statistics, then this whole discussion is moot, because statistically, most people will never be attacked. I'm talking about real world events, not mathematical formulas.

If that attacker grabs you by your dominant arm, what are you going to do? If he grabs you by the hair from behind and pulls you to the ground, and the pepper spray goes bouncing out of your hand, what are you going to do? If he walks up to your car and pulls the door open just as you are turning off the ignition with your dominant hand, what are you going to do? This is how attacks occur - when the victim least expects it.

Why are you opposed to self defense training? As part of my self defense training I was hit in the face with pepper spray. It stings like ****, but it did more to encourage rage than to incapacitate.

Mountain Dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom