What would you AND what wouldn't you buy used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EBAY Complete Sherwood Blizzard "New in Box" with date certified rebuilt by Sherwood as of 9-05 for $296 plus $20 shipping....vs LDS price of $599.00...for the exact same thing...In another post I listed my "bargains" that were not on EBAY but all in all I have EVERYTHING checked out by the local LDS shop here ( who charges 30% more than I can get it done just about anywhere else) and still save $$$$:wink:

We need to keep the LDS's in business but I have One(1) yes One LDS in my town and they see no need to "compete" by lowering any prices...ie. I can drive to Tucson Arizona and save 20-50% on anything they sell here....EBAY has been a valuable source so all the rest of you PLEASE stay off it so I can get my stuff cheap!!! that is of course unless I am trying to "dump" some of the older stuff I have.....:D

Sometimes my LDS has some great deals on used items. I bought my 2 Steel 100's for $200- CDN each, both with current inspection(1 Nitrox ready). I also just this week bought a Steel 120(I have a tank fixation:06: ), same deal ($200-)with current inspection and nitrox. I also noticed they sell other items (used or rental). So sometimes your LDS is a good source for used items, and they(at least mine) stand behind the gear.

CatalinaCanuck:
Sometimes my LDS has some great deals on used items. I bought my 2 Steel 100's for $200- CDN each, both with current inspection(1 Nitrox ready). I also just this week bought a Steel 120(I have a tank fixation:06: ), same deal ($200-)with current inspection and nitrox. I also noticed they sell other items (used or rental). So sometimes your LDS is a good source for used items, and they(at least mine) stand behind the gear.

Good deals, What shop?

Kevin,

I'm not a big fan of used gear. I've had some leaking BC's while on dive trips in Hawaii, and it's no fun having to end your dive earlier than everyone else because you kept having to add air to a faulty BC. And when you pay a couple hundred to do these dives, having bad gear just isn't worth it. I also have used a Reg that was purchased from a LDS (used for scuba classes) and in less than 6 months it's free flowing, needing to be fixed. So sure you may some money at the begininng, but when you start depending on this gear when you are thousands of miles away, it just plain sucks when it stops working for you.

I draw the line at used Gum. Used toothpicks are pretty much dependent on the urgence of the need.

xiSkiGuy:
No, too conservative. How about this? :D

"POUCHED FRONT TO ENHANCE THE MAN IN YOU"? Do you need help in this area?

Scuba Jerm:
Kevin,

I'm not a big fan of used gear. I've had some leaking BC's while on dive trips in Hawaii, and it's no fun having to end your dive earlier than everyone else because you kept having to add air to a faulty BC.

Don't dive over-weighted and you won't need to add a lot of air to your BC, but even if you do you can inflate it manually and just use spent gas that would otherwise have been sent bubbling to the surface.

There seems to be this prevailing idea among many that "Ebay = used" when there are a lot of retail dealers selling brand new stuff there. Even Leisure Pro sells on Ebay, under another name.

I would never buy a used toothbrush from E-Bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom