What would you AND what wouldn't you buy used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I a bought lot of our equipment(weight integrated bc's, regs, and knives) from ebay. The bc's and regs were used and in EXCELLENT condition. I do have to admit that I was a little worried up until the time that we actually used them. I'm sure not all experiences are as good as ours, but I think it is at least worth investigating before you buy new.

Having recently looked at equipment for purchase, I'm in the dilemna (ebay or not?), from my observations and price comparisons, I've found Regs online seem to go for quite high prices, and some of the regs I've seen are out of service, or soon to be, and 5 years old or more. Add onto the price of the Regs, the cost of service, and anticipated spare parts, and you may find that you are paying only a few dollars/pounds short of what a nice new reg-set will cost, remember it may have been sat around full of salt for a year or two, and the hoses may be perished.

As for BCD's generally they are something that you want to try on, for comfort, you don't know whether it leaks, whether the dumps work on it etc, again, the prices of them online may be cheaper than new, but is it cost effective.

I bought my semi dry suit 2nd hand from my LDS, I got to try it for size, and inspect the state of it.

Rather than go the e-bay route, I would suggest approaching your LDS to check out their ex school kit, many reputable dive schools keep their kit well serviced, and replace it every few years, you can also try it out before you buy it.

Just remember, If you buy something and it has an annoying problem you are either going to have to pay more money to get it fixed, or end up getting rid of it and buying new anyway, and remember, regs are your life support system, do you want to take chances ?

e-bay rules, I sold my 40' boat on e-bay. I buy most all my scuba gear on e-bay. I will not buy breast milk or urine on e-bay, (I have seen both). My latest purchase was an Air-2 service manual, another LDS sale lost to e-bay.

I bought my first set of gear from my LDS, and then knick-knacks (knife, flashlights, slate etc) online. As a beginner I bought my gear from the LDS because I could try it on for size, and also considered the reg and BCD as "life-support" gear.

After a couple of years diving I now know more about the gear, and do shop more online but still give my LDS a chance on items that I want for comfort and life-support...buying air-fills online would be a real chore if my LDS went under!

cnctina:
I will not buy breast milk or urine on e-bay, (I have seen both).

Doesn't that come with the wetsuit?

The only scuba gear I wouldn't buy on ebay is that which I can't find on ebay. New or used not much concern. Knowing what you are buying and its value is paramount. Take a little risk with poor or no pics and excessively brief descriptions has potential for big savings or disappointment. But bidding often gets out of hand resulting in inflated prices.

KevinScuba:
Well, I'm going to try, for the final time, to complete my 1st open water dive while on vacation this summer in Florida. And, I love ebay, but I'm sure there are items that would be OK to purchase used OR unseen. What are you opinions AND lessons on this subject??

I'm not sure what I'm going to purchase prior and rent when I'm there, so you might offer that information as well.

Thanks all.

Kevin

I buy everything used... and save a ton of money... please don't ever pay inflated shop prices... if you're going to buy new, buy on-line from a reputable dealer.

Happy Diving

All kinds of opinions either way on buying online/ebay. As lonefox said, The reg is your life support system. Why screw with fate or someone else's "word" that it works. A good LDS will not only service what they sell, they will allow you free time to USE IT. Not to mention setup correctly and you have a face-to-face to complain to. Warranty is also a factor, but if you have the money, do whatever. In the long run I wouldn't and will not buy regs anywhere other than a business I can walk into. Its hard to throttle the living.... out of someone over the internet.

I bought my regs, BCDs and dive computers on Ebay. I had the regs and BCDs serviced and have upgraded my computers (gage mounted to Mares Genius to Cochran Commander to Cyber Aqualand NX) I was able to resell what I didn't need anymore. I just bought a Parkway 7mm Sharkskin semi-dry for half what it costs and the suit looks and smells new...you can also by new gear, I got 2 (one for me and one for my wife) 3mm full wet suits for less than the cost of a single one in an LDS and a 5mm for half price as well. I paid less for the 2-3mm than I paid at my LDS for a single tropical triweight. I bought mask, fins, snorkel, tropical triweight dive skin and weight belt at my LDS as part of my class. I picked up a dive bag at a outlet store for 1/4 the price in a LDS.

Cameras...I got a Sea and Sea Motormarine with 2 strobes for $130, a Nikonos IVa with 2 strobes for $250.

Ebay rules.

My used equipment has 50 dives on it, so far one LP hose and one O-ring is all I have needed to replace.

In total I have:

2 Sherwood regs, octos, gages (used Ebay)
1 Calypso Extra Large BCD (used Ebay)
1 Mares Medium BCD (used Ebay)
1 tropical triweight (New - LDS)
1 lycra dive skin (new - ebay)
3 masks (my wife didn't like her first one) (new LDS)
3 masks (used, came with BCDs)
4 snorkels (2 new LDS, 2 used)
6 dive computers, 3 have been resold (kept a resource gage mount, the Cochran Commander and my new Cyber Aqualand NX with comm unit all from Ebay)
2-3mm Neosport wesuits (new-Ebay)
1-5mm wesuit TommyD sportswear (new-Ebay)
1-7mm Parkway Shark skin semi-dry suit (used-ebay)
1-1/4 inch (5mm) crushed neoprene Posedion Unisuit drysuit (used-Ebay)
1-Titanium dive knife (new LDS)
1-Dive watch sport style (new LDS)
1-Dive watch dress style (New - Mall)
1 rolling samsonite dive bag (new - outlet)
1 mesh Akona dive bag (I use it all the time) (new - LDS)
2 regulator bags (New LDS)
1 Sea and Sea Motor Marine with strobes (used Eaby, resold)
1 Nikonos IVa with two strobes (used Ebay)
1 master strobe cord (used Ebay)
1 Reefmaster 3 megapixel digital with stobe and bag and 3x lens attachment (used LDS)
1 80L Aluminum tank (new LDS)
3 pair fins (new LDS)
1 weight belt with about 20 pounds misc weights (new LDS)
1 pair reef gloves (new LDS)
1 pair 5mm dive gloves (New LDS, but less than half retail price)
1 pair 3mm dive booties (New LDS)
2 pair dive socks (new LDS)

All for under $2500.00 total (once you subtract the stuff I resold). I got the Cyber Aqualand NX for $361.00 with comm unit ($116.00) total $477, for the same thing new, with 25% off, $961 through Zales (they had the best deal, not the LDS)

One suggestion, join a bidding engine service, I use www.esnipe.com
For life support stuff, get it serviced and it's good as new, make sure they check the hoses and O-rings on the hoses during the servicing. Around here servicing is about 30 bucks.

I always check Ebay first unless I just have to have it right now (got a brand new tank, first inspection and airfill for $130 at American Pro divers in Crystal River...hard to beat that once you throw in shipping costs)

I dive everywhere from Lake Lanier, Ga (last weekend, 45 degrees, used the parkway) to Crystal River (72 degrees, used the 3mm) to Grand Turk (used the tropic Triweight) so I need the range of equipment I have. Gives me the heebie jeebies to wear a full rental suit...or breath through a used reg (SARS, Avian flu, hepititus no thanks!)

I sent an article to the site here on buying used equipment on Ebay about a month or more ago...never got a reply from them.

KevinScuba:
OK, but what would you purchase used, on that list?? Kevin

Or better; Pre-owned. Not everything on eBay is "used"... eyebrow That sdaid, I buy no gas delivery on eBay that doesn't go to an authorized factory servive tech for a thorough run through and adjustment before I get it wet.

spectrum:
Until you become gear savy I'd tread lightly.
This is wise council. I wouldn't recommend any new diver to get their first set of suff off of eBay. But it is only a matter of time until they sell that entry level stuff and buy their next set from eBay...

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom