What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked at the Apeks wings. Wow, I was unaware that they got into the narrow wing market.
Last time I checked Apeks was kind of a wannabe in the plate and wing arena since they were a little late to the party and there was already a level of plate/wing saturation with all the manufacturers that have been filling the market before they got into the scene.
At least they're not as late a SP.
And to think they all laughed at BP/W and thought they would get nowhere, ha!

The new Apeks have a little resemblance to the Oxycheq line but what I see missing are longer slots, roll control cushions. The stitching looks similar, the profile looks similar, the inflator is different, and I'm not seeing an extreme version.
The price is a little high.
It's really hard to tell if those are rebranded Oxy's or maybe Oxy is making a slightly changed model for rebranding?

Never the less, it appears they would work great with an FP.

I just looked at the Apeks wings. Wow, I was unaware that they got into the narrow wing market.
Last time I checked Apeks was kind of a wannabe in the plate and wing arena since they were a little late to the party and there was already a level of plate/wing saturation with all the manufacturers that have been filling the market before they got into the scene.
At least they're not as late a SP.
And to think they all laughed at BP/W and thought they would get nowhere, ha!

The new Apeks have a little resemblance to the Oxycheq line but what I see missing are longer slots, roll control cushions. The stitching looks similar, the profile looks similar, the inflator is different, and I'm not seeing an extreme version.
It's really hard to tell if those are rebranded Oxy's or maybe Oxy is making a slightly changed model for rebranding?

Never the less, it appears they would work great with an FP.

I looked at the wings again and you are right, except they do mention "tank stabilizer bars" in the description. What is interesting is they say it is designed and built in Apeks own factory, so maybe they ripped-off Oxycheq or bought the rights to the design. One additional thing is that they use a thinner bladder than Oxycheq does 22 vs 26.5 mil. Aqualung likes to make things proprietary so I can understand the changes in parts and in the slot design.

I do like the fit and finish of Apeks plates and the hardware on their harnesses but the WTX-3 wing is not very good. It is a bladder-less design so I would not take it anywhere it could get cut. Also it is too wide and floppy. This construction would be ideal for a travel wing for tropical destinations because it packs very small.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 10:17 PM ----------

Do they sell anything other than wings anymore? You could be right.

I think the only things they ever made were wings and accessories and the O2 analyzers. The rest of the gear was re-branded.

Well, if it looks like a rebranded Oxy, then I'm glad I went for the HOG cause I thought it felt cheap - nothing as durable as the feel of the bladder on my Aqua backinflate. I'll admit that was the first wing that I tried to do any fitting with. If they all are cheap and flimsy in comparison then I'm in for a surprise...

The small slots were a huge turn off for me - almost like I could hear Hans and Franz say "Du vill put yur cam bands heir!"

I looked at the wings again and you are right, except they do mention "tank stabilizer bars" in the description. What is interesting is they say it is designed and built in Apeks own factory, so maybe they ripped-off Oxycheq or bought the rights to the design. One additional thing is that they use a thinner bladder than Oxycheq does 22 vs 26.5 mil. Aqualung likes to make things proprietary so I can understand the changes in parts and in the slot design.

I do like the fit and finish of Apeks plates and the hardware on their harnesses but the WTX-3 wing is not very good. It is a bladder-less design so I would not take it anywhere it could get cut. Also it is too wide and floppy. This construction would be ideal for a travel wing for tropical destinations because it packs very small.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 10:17 PM ----------

I think the only things they ever made were wings and accessories and the O2 analyzers. The rest of the gear was re-branded.
I'm not sure if there are any "rights" to any design really, they can pretty much build whatever they want.
I don't remember any specific patents on Oxycheq's Mach V line.
I'm getting a kick out of their scramble now to get into the act. To think how long the big guys laughed off the whole plate wing thing.
I can't wait for my behind the times LDS to get some of that stuff in because their "godfather - AL" told them to. I'm going to love to go in and gloat at them them and say "I told you so".

In the midwest the same "Godfather" was telling his dealers that BPW's are an "east coast wreck diver thing" and you "don't see them west of Pennsylvania". At least the Godfather's rep was spouting that kind of nonsense. I have that in writing from a shop owner and agency official who told me that in an email when I told him I was putting OW students in plates and wings with long hose regs. I really want to meet that guy at a local dive site when I'm using my freedom plate. Just so I can tell him he's full of crap. Maybe even put my BPW article on his windshield. :=)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Well, if it looks like a rebranded Oxy, then I'm glad I went for the HOG cause I thought it felt cheap - nothing as durable as the feel of the bladder on my Aqua backinflate.

Oxycheq wings are not made cheaply, they are built like a tank. Their bladder is the thickest I have ever seen.

Oxycheq wings are not made cheaply, they are built like a tank. Their bladder is the thickest I have ever seen.
That is true. That's another thing I forgot to mention, the Apeks bladder is thinner and black.
The Oxy is the thicker and it's clear.
Just a difference enough to make me doublt that the Apeks is manufactured by Oxy.

Oxy wings are the among the thickest, toughest wings made, if not the toughest. Then there are the armored ones.

N

Back
Top Bottom