Freedom plate compatible with Halcyon wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Hopefully someone will chime in here who has successfully married an FP with a Halcyon wing.
@GirlonFire,

My FP precedes the Contour model, but I describe in the old thread here (Freedom Plate: First Dive) how I modified my (originally slot-less) Halcyon wing to work with my FP.

One other thing: I will sometimes dive the rig without my FP's wedge thingy. No issues whatsoever--except this requires a bit more fidgeting around when you switch the rig to a fresh cylinder.

rx7diver

Yes, Hollis is an option for sure... Did you need an sta or wedge when you used the H wing and FP?
I just ran the cam bands through the slots I created.

@GirlonFire,

My FP precedes the Contour model, but I describe in the old thread here (Freedom Plate: First Dive) how I modified my (originally slot-less) Halcyon wing to work with my FP.

One other thing: I will sometimes dive the rig without my FP's wedge thingy. No issues whatsoever--except this requires a bit more fidgeting around when you switch the rig to a fresh cylinder.

rx7diver
Do you utilize the bolts when you use the wedge? The issue I see is because my FP is small, the holes are 9.5" on center and not 11. I may be able to use at least one bolt but worry the tank will shift since the Halcyon adventure does not have built in stabilization like my current Oxycheq wing.
Maybe the wedge will solve all. @Eric Sedletzky do you agree?

Do you utilize the bolts when you use the wedge? The issue I see is because my FP is small, the holes are 9.5" on center and not 11. I may be able to use at least one bolt but worry the tank will shift since the Halcyon adventure does not have built in stabilization like my current Oxycheq wing.
Yes, I use the bolts when I use the wedge. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but using the wedge without using the bolts too, will very probably require a lot more fidgeting than I have patience for.

By the way: One of my two bolts broke several years (!!) ago when I was changing things over. So, everything is held in place currently by only a single bolt. I never think about it. In fact, I had forgotten about this--again--until just now. When I align everything and snug down both cylinder straps, the bolts aren't doing anything, anyway.

Your local machine shop or local vo-tech high school (or even your auto mechanic) can drill a hole in SS without much problem. The machine shop techs will probably be the best bet for not marring things up and for finishing (chamfering?) the hole nicely. The vo-tech students will probably be the cheapest solution, but if the teacher/instructor isn't watching things carefully, ...

rx7diver

nice. Did you use the bolts too?
No. It wasn't ideal, as the single tank would shift. Using a better wing allows me to dive with no movement on my back.

It should be reworded to "is the Halcyon wing compatible with the Freedom Plate". Kinda like Chuck Norris doesn't do push ups, he pushes the world down. (Shamelessly sucking up to Eric to skip in line on the Freedom Plate build list) :D

The wedge was designed to move the bottom of the tank out a few degrees (or move the plate in closer to your lower back, which ever way you want to think about it). It also serves as a way to affix the wing to the plate so the wing doesn’t move all around when you’re trying to set it up with a tank. The top hole actually doesn’t matter because the tank will just rest on the wing/plate and cam band down into place.
i would suggest the DGX wing. It’s actually an Oxycheq Mach V wing just possibly a little thinner (IDK for sure yet but I’m buying one soon) which to me is good because the Oxy’s are too thick IMO…and expensive. And I don’t like the owner either.
That Hollis wing from what I can see would probably work too. It has a set of holes that will line up to 9 1/2” centers it looks like. It would be the two inside holes.

You have to excuse my tardiness to get back into this thread. I’m still a bit loopy from getting up at 4:30 and urchin diving today.

Also,
You don’t need the wedge if you use the DGX wing.
Those wings have top and bottom roll control cushions just like the Oxycheq Mach 5 wing at the sides of the slots and the middle area is clear, so the curve of the plate has somewhere to go and not high center on full length roll control log/ bar whatever you want to call it like some other brands have. With the full length roll control bars you need a wedge.
The only thing with not using a wedge is that the tank will sit closer to your butt if that matters to you.
If you want to do that and skip the wedge I’ll just send you some special short little 1/4” stainless bolts that you can use to attach the wing to the plate top and bottom and they will not be in the way of the tank. The roll cushions hold the plate away from the tank far enough so the bolts won’t chew up the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom