Freedom plate compatible with Halcyon wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I have a small ss Freedom contour plate and I've been using it with an Oxycheq wing. It's time for a new wing and I was wondering if the freedom plate is compatible with a single Halcyon wing (Adventure or Eclipse).

Has anyone used this combination?

I would like to know my options but I definitely do not want to change my backplate.

I've reached out to Eric but maybe posting here will yield a faster response.

Thanks

I don’t know anything about Halcyon wings.
Does it have cam band slots?
Also, does the wing have a series of holes, not just a single set of 11” center holes?
Hopefully the wing has a series of holes spaced apart at 1 1/2” increments. The Small Freedom Plate has 9 1/2” center holes because the plate was too short to place them on 11” centers.
Oxycheq, VDH, and DGX wings all have cam band slots and a series of STA holes spaced 1 1/2” apart top and bottom. The Freedom Plate was designed around the Oxycheq wings being they were the hot ticket at the time. Both VDH wings (gone now) and DGX wings are copies/clones/ inspired by Oxy.

Hi Eric!
These are the Halcyon wings

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 6.52.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 6.52.33 PM.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 7.11.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 7.11.26 PM.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 52
If the Halcyon wing does not have cam band slots then it is problematic, not impossible, but a lot of work to make that wing usable.
I would have to fab some sort of STA for the cam bands to go through and make it so it bolts up through the back. The FP is smooth in front so only domed carriage bolts will work.

at least the one on the left is closer to what you need and has slots. The problem is those are probably 11” center holes/grommets.
Do you have a wedge?
What you need to do is line up the bottom hole with the hole in the plate by installing the wedge (or by eye) and see if the cam band slots line up.
If they do then you’re golden, just forget about the top hole and the wing will self center when you torque the cam bands.
If not, then either the wing slots need to be modified or the plate slots need to be modified so they line up.

at least the one on the left is closer to what you need and has slots. The problem is those are probably 11” center holes/grommets.
Do you have a wedge?
What you need to do is line up the bottom hole with the hole in the plate by installing the wedge (or by eye) and see if the cam band slots line up.
If they do then you’re golden, just forget about the top hole and the wing will self center when you torque the cam bands.
If not, then either the wing slots need to be modified or the plate slots need to be modified so they line up.
They are 11" center holes.
I do not have a wedge. Do you still sell them?
I have not ordered the wing yet. I want to make sure it will work with my FP.
Hopefully someone will chime in here who has successfully married an FP with a Halcyon wing.

And yes, I still have material to make wedges.
If you don’t have one I can get you one.
They are nice to have for tank angle and they also hold the wing to the plate.
You said your plate was stainless correct?
Are you considering getting the H wing through an LDS or online?

And yes, I still have material to make wedges.
If you don’t have one I can get you one.
They are nice to have for tank angle and they also hold the wing to the plate.
You said your plate was stainless correct?
Are you considering getting the H wing through an LDS or online?
Yes I have a small stainless contoured plate.#540 actually.
I would purchase online.

Back
Top Bottom