What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not sure if you can buy one with a pull dump from "factory" but you can almost definitely convert. Elbow and inflator look to be of the generic kind.

I would check this. No offense to Buddha, but the old series Apeks wings uses a larger than standard fitting. I found this out the hard way. For the older style wings you need either this or this.

I would check this. No offense to Buddha, but the old series Apeks wings uses a larger than standard fitting. I found this out the hard way. For the older style wings you need either this or this.

No no Ams, we're talking about the HOGs here. Yes the Apesks and Aquas are all big rings. But the hoses for all are 1". New dump on the old hose...an Aqua-Hog if you will.

No no Ams, we're talking about the HOGs here. Yes the Apesks and Aquas are all big rings. But the hoses for all are 1". New dump on the old hose...an Aqua-Hog if you will.

I am not exactly sure of what you mean. From memory, a HOG wing uses standard hardware so what Buddha linked to would work. It wouldn't work with an Apeks WTX-3 wing because of the oversize nut. If you know away around it then let me know. I have a pull dump and want to replace it with an elbow.

Too bad you purchased a wing from Jim, I have a new one in the bag that I am not going to use.

I am not exactly sure of what you mean. From memory, a HOG wing uses standard hardware so what Buddha linked to would work. It wouldn't work with an Apeks WTX-3 wing because of the oversize nut. If you know away around it then let me know. I have a pull dump and want to replace it with an elbow.

Too bad you purchased a wing from Jim, I have a new one in the bag that I am not going to use.

Ok I too am confused, so lets review.

I have an Aqua Air3. It has the large ring 2 7/16 or something like that. It has a 1" ID hose. The hog inflator has a 2" ring and a 1" hose. So inorder to put the Air3 on the Hog, I use the Hog elbow only (maybe a new pull dump elbow and cable from DGE if I want, not if I don't).

So I clamp the Air3 1" hose on the 1" Hog elbow and off we go. Make sense?

None taken but Unless I missed something he said a HOG wing.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 10:04 PM ----------

Just noticed it was cleared up.

I tried to mate the FP to a Apeks WTD-D30 single tank wing last night at the LDS as it has the large inflator elbow connection and I have all Aqualung gear.

This is why I referenced an Apeks wing. I did not see anything about an octo/inflator.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 07:34 PM ----------

Eric, Do you know of anyone who has tried a Larry Green (OMS) wing with your FP?

I PM'ed you a few years ago when I was considering same, love 120's. I've since gone a different way, but just seems like that wing would be a natural.

I am 99% sure the Larry Green wing is intended for doubles while the Freedom plate is intended for singles. If it does fit then chances are it will taco (wrap around the cylinder) and make venting a chore.

I tried to mate the FP to a Apeks WTD-D30 single tank wing last night at the LDS as it has the large inflator elbow connection and I have all Aqualung gear.

Their cam slots are just slightly longer than the 2" webbing and are pretty far apart allowing no room for customizing band placement. Also the band slots are pretty narrow so with the new Highland clip style bands (which are super BTW), its frigging hard to get the clip through. Its a pretty narrow donut as well. I wanted to make it work, and probably could, but I dunno, it just didn't seem a happy coupling...

So I'm still looking for a wing...can you get the HOG 32# with a pull dump inflator?

I have AA 100s and 120s - does the length of the 120s impact the usefulness of this HOG wing? 100s&120s have very similar buoyancy characteristics so in theory I can use one wing.

ams511, Ah gotcha, I was responding to the HOG question. I was looking at the "new" Apeks wings yesterday they look very similar to Oxycheq from the pictures. Do you know if they have some deal going? Have you seen one?

...//... I am 99% sure the Larry Green wing is intended for doubles while the Freedom plate is intended for singles. If it does fit then chances are it will taco (wrap around the cylinder) and make venting a chore.

Indeed.

But due to its config (long and rather narrow) I believe it works quite well. Need IRL input from the field...

ams511, Ah gotcha, I was responding to the HOG question. I was looking at the "new" Apeks wings yesterday they look very similar to Oxycheq from the pictures. Do you know if they have some deal going? Have you seen one?

I have only seen the new versions of the Apeks wing online. I agree it looks identical to the Oxycheq Mach V series of wings. I have not heard of any deals on the Apeks wing. Scuba Toys had some deals but now only have strange colors. I found it odd that Scuba Toys is no longer an Oxycheq dealer. Oxycheq only has a handful of dealers anymore, and not one in South Florida or the Keys. I wonder if they are just going to become an OEM.

I have only seen the new versions of the Apeks wing online. I agree it looks identical to the Oxycheq Mach V series of wings. I have not heard of any deals on the Apeks wing. Scuba Toys had some deals but now only have strange colors. I found it odd that Scuba Toys is no longer an Oxycheq dealer. Oxycheq only has a handful of dealers anymore, and not one in South Florida or the Keys. I wonder if they are just going to become an OEM.

Maybe untrue but I heard a rumour there was a falling out.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 11:47 PM ----------

Do they sell anything other than wings anymore? You could be right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom