What to do with a runaway BCD inflator

Did your instructor teach you how to deal with runaway inflation of the BCD underwater?

• Yes, I was taught to disconnect the low-pressure inflator while underwater.

Votes: 76 77.6%
  • No, I was never taught how to deal with this situation.

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Maybe I was taught this, but I've long since forgotten.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Yes, but it did not involve disconnecting the low-pressure inflator. (Please explain in comments.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both the deflate button or the hip dump (depending on orientation) will dump faster than the inflator fills. That story is suggestive of freezing/panic.
Dump valves will not fix a runaway overflow. To stop the loss of gas, you need to disconnect the LP inflator. A blown HP line will take forever to bleed out your tank. An LP free flow will do it much faster.

I always add stuck inflator and free flowing regulator drills during optional time.

I was not taught this in the context of runaway BCD, but did indeed practice removing and reinserting the low pressure valve on the BCD while underwater.
That's one of the things I fear: We're required to teach how to do it, but WHY or WHEN to do it is less obvious.

That's one of the things I fear: We're required to teach how to do it, but WHY or WHEN to do it is less obvious.
Is removing the inflator hose underwater a different skill/technique when the inflator is stuck than not stuck? Is it more difficult when the inflator is stuck?

Is removing the inflator hose underwater a different skill/technique when the inflator is stuck than not stuck? Is it more difficult when the inflator is stuck?
Good question. I'd imagine it's easier but I might play around with this to see. I try to avoid having a stuck inflator....

I'm thinking it would be because once you start to release it the pressure should tend to push the hose and inflator apart. But I don't know.

Dump valves will not fix a runaway overflow. To stop the loss of gas, you need to disconnect the LP inflator.
Of course. Raising the hose and pressing the deflator mitigates the inflation while the other hand uncouples the LP hose.

I was never taught this, simply because power inflaters weren't around when I learned to dive.

But the first time it happened to me, I just disconnected it. Pretty obvious, I would have thought. I mouth inflated the rest of the trip. Since I'd learned to dive that way it didn't seem like a big deal, but the people I was diving with thought it was a miracle. Go figure. Times change.

Good question. I'd imagine it's easier but I might play around with this to see. I try to avoid having a stuck inflator....

I'm thinking it would be because once you start to release it the pressure should tend to push the hose and inflator apart. But I don't know.
In really cold water they can ice up and freeze on.

A "K" inflator cartridge costs about $15. That's the part that sticks. I replace mine every 150-200 dives no matter what and carry spares on trips.
On trips the most common repair I make for my dive buddies is a replacement spool in their SPG, and a replacement K-inflator is number 2.

I always add stuck inflator and free flowing regulator drills during optional time.

I'm interested, do you teach hose kinking to arrest freeflow thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom