Can I use my BC inflator with these Octo's or do I need to buy a new hose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not what he was intimating at all pure genius coincidence

couv to the rescue again

Magnificent!

Hi yes it is the corrugated hose that does not fit. but looking at the hoses in the website. I do not see where it would connect to the actual bcd bladder? I think my aqualung large bcd corrugated hose only has one end with a big tread to connect to the bladder and another opening for the octo. How could I get that to work?

Thanks!
I have 2 aqualung BCD's I use as backups for lessons. The standard Aqualung inflator connection looks like one piece, but if you flip it over, there is one Phillips head screw that is a clamp, unscrew that and you will see that the hose just slips on. The pics may make it more clear. Does that answer your question? Many bcd inflator hoses are just ziptied.

The Northeast Scuba Supply hose looks to be the easiest solution. For any hardware issues, my go to shops are Dive Gear Express, NE Scuba Supply, and Pirahna Dive Gear.

If you can't get that hose, you may be able to just replace the elbow or pull dump.

Good luck,
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2509.JPG
    IMG_2509.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 66
I have an older Sea Quest Malabu BCD. The hose that goes to the BCD screws in. I took the manual inflator off the hose and I want to use an Air 2 Octo on it. It kinda fits but I feel like the rubber hose needs to be about 3/4 longer. The hose sleeve goes over the the octo but stops after about a 1/2 and the tube narrows to small to fit something in it. The hose does not allow me to put the octo's very deep inside it. Also on the other octo in the photo, the second hole that connects to the dump valve is drilled up too high and the hose will not go over it.

Do they make some sort of adaptor that will go from the octo with a longer sleeve to a smaller ridged tube that can zip tie to the main rubber hose? I hope it makes sense.
You're right that a slightly longer hose will be more comfortable when using the air2. As others have said, the best way to go is to replace the hose entirely. They're not super expensive, and it's not difficult to change the part out.

That's an older air2. If you haven't already, you should get it serviced/tuned. A properly serviced/tuned air2 should breathe pretty much the same as a normal high quality second stage regulator. Both of my air2's do (mine and my wife's really). My Air2 is a newer generation than yours. I'm not sure if the older version will breathe differently from the newer one I've got.

Another thing that makes the air2 MUCH easier to use is to use a PULL DUMP on the bcd. Since you're replacing the hose now, it would be a good time to replace the elbow with a pull dump. If you're breathing from your air2 and you don't have a pull dump (aka remote exhaust) while ascending to the boat, you'll have a harder time dumping gas from your bcd on the way up. The pull dump means you can just tug on the hose while it's in your mouth to dump the bcd air with ease.

You can get a whole assembly here: Remote Exhaust Elbow Inflation Assemblies then put your air2 on that in place of the standard inflator. Should take all of 5 minutes to install for someone that has never done it. I'd probably go with 22 inch or maybe 16. Definitely not 12 inch. Tie a piece of string to the bcd where the assembly would attach and the other end of the string to your air2. Then see how 16 inch or 22 inch long strings feel to you. If 22 doesn't seem excessive then I'd go with that. If it does, then get the 16. The LP hose from your first stage to the air2 will need to match of course. If you've already got the LP hose then just measure that to determine which length.

I have 2 aqualung BCD's I use as backups for lessons. The standard Aqualung inflator connection looks like one piece, but if you flip it over, there is one Phillips head screw that is a clamp, unscrew that and you will see that the hose just slips on. The pics may make it more clear. Does that answer your question? Many bcd inflator hoses are just ziptied.

The Northeast Scuba Supply hose looks to be the easiest solution. For any hardware issues, my go to shops are Dive Gear Express, NE Scuba Supply, and Pirahna Dive Gear.

If you can't get that hose, you may be able to just replace the elbow or pull dump.

Good luck,
Jay
Thanks so much, I was able to get it apart! I was looking at the replacement hose they make which goes from 1 inch to three-quarter inch. I emailed the company but I have not heard back I just need the 1 inch portion two be able to overlap a little more to the octo. Right now it only goes about 5/8 of an inch. I would like to have an entire inch be able to overlap.

Attachments

• 84FD60E6-59C8-4D27-A58C-8A42E6994827.jpeg
    84FD60E6-59C8-4D27-A58C-8A42E6994827.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 56
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom