BCD Inflator Hose Blowing Off Vest Connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes the corrugated hose is attached with a zip tie as shown in the attached photo. It does not use the dive right elbow mentioned above however. Tugging hard on the hose does not budge it. It seems to be a secure connection when testing it by hand.

Given that the internal pressure of the BC bladder should only be a few PSI It's hard to imagine how enough pressure is building up in the system to blow this connection apart with a loud pop. Sure seems like high pressure is building in the corrugated hose or shoulder fitting and not making it to the bladder but I have no reasonable explanation on how that could possibly occur. Unless the output pressure/volume of the inflator mechanism spikes under certain circumstances?

Thanks,
Ross
In this picture, what came loose? The corrugated hose from the plastic fitting, or the plastic fitting from the bladder? I assume the cable-tie on there now was installed by your LDS after the fact?

Looks like a hex (or octagon) -shaped flange nut. Have you tried unscrewing and tightening it?
I just unscrewed it and tightened it back down. It was very tight, so I had to use vise grips to loosen it initially. Nothing obvious in the connection that would indicate a problem.
In this picture, what came loose? The corrugated hose from the plastic fitting, or the plastic fitting from the bladder? I assume the cable-tie on there now was installed by your LDS after the fact?
The corrugated hose blew off the plastic fitting. The elbow itself was still attached as it should be. When this problem has occurred the cable tie has remained attached to the hose and the hose was reattached by shoving it back onto the elbow. I honestly don't know if the LDS replaced that cable tie or not.

Can't really tell how the elbow itself is designed. It's obviously not venting the entire 1 in diameter hose directly into the bladder. Is that a valve or more likely just a constriction to reduce the max volume of air that could enter the bladder?

Thanks,
Ross

Attachments

• 20240727_123504.jpg
    20240727_123504.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom