BCD Inflator Hose Blowing Off Vest Connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This seems like solid advice but it would be nice to understand what's actually failing. Do I want to spend $200+ replacing parts on a $450 BCD that should be under warranty? Obviously no, but an even worse option is having this thing fail periodically on me.
The hose costs about $20, as does the replacement inflator. I suggested replacing the hose first because that's the most likely source of the problem. (You can probably just look the fitting on the inflator and see whether it's damaged.)

After rereading and thinking about some of these responses, I think I was not clear in describing where the failure is actually occurring. The issue is *not* where the lpi supply hose from the first stage connects to the inflator mechanism. The issue occurs where the 1inch rubber hose connects to the vest on the left shoulder to fill the bladder with air when the inflator mechanism is activated.

If it was just the supply line it would be a fairly minor annoyance since I would still be able to manually inflate. But when the connection to the bladder blows off, manual inflation is not an option. :(

I apologize for the lack of clarity in my original post.

Thanks,
Ross

The hose costs about $20, as does the replacement inflator. I suggested replacing the hose first because that's the most likely source of the problem. (You can probably just look the fitting on the inflator and see whether it's damaged.)

Fair point that I probably overestimated/exaggerated the cost of replacement. :) The LPI supply hose would indeed be an easy fix for around $20. The entire Cressi inflator mechanism including the 1 inch hose and the left shoulder fitting looks to be around $110 but just the Cressi inflator head itself is a bit under $40. Would I need the full $110 kit and if so is that an easy install for a non professional or is that better left to a dive shop?

I'm struggling to understand the cause of this problem. Is the left shoulder bladder connection fitting/valve getting blocked somehow? Is the first stage and supply hose providing wrong pressure to the inflator mechanism? Is the inflator head itself glitching but only on a fraction of the dives and only when surfacing? It's a frustrating problem when it's so intermittent and none of the explanations really make a lot of sense.

Thanks,
Ross

After rereading and thinking about some of these responses, I think I was not clear in describing where the failure is actually occurring. The issue is *not* where the lpi supply hose from the first stage connects to the inflator mechanism. The issue occurs where the 1inch rubber hose connects to the vest on the left shoulder to fill the bladder with air when the inflator mechanism is activated.

If it was just the supply line it would be a fairly minor annoyance since I would still be able to manually inflate. But when the connection to the bladder blows off, manual inflation is not an option. :(

I apologize for the lack of clarity in my original post.

Thanks,
Ross
Wow! Talk about a misunderstanding!
Let's get some terminology correct: there is the LP Inflator hose -- the one from the first stage to the QD and the nipple on the inflator, and there is the 1-inch corrugated hose, the one from the inflator to the BCD at the shoulder.
So it was your corrugated hose that blew off at the shoulder, where it connects to the BCD fitting?
In that case, essentially ALL of the responses in this thread are irrelevant.
You probably need an entirely new bladder-to-inflator corrugated hose with the new shoulder fitting. I would not trust any other "fix."

So it was your corrugated hose that blew off at the shoulder, where it connects to the BCD fitting?
In that case, essentially ALL of the responses in this thread are irrelevant.
You probably need an entirely new bladder-to-inflator corrugated hose with the new shoulder fitting. I would not trust any other "fix."

Correct, the corrugated hose is blowing off the shoulder fitting. Apologies again for the confusion. :(

Thanks,
Ross

Parts and Components Follow this link and you can replace whatever you need for a good price. The corrugated hose can get hard and brittle over time which will make it harder to get a good grip on the fitting. I take an extra one on dive trips.

Correct, the corrugated hose is blowing off the shoulder fitting. Apologies again for the confusion. :(

Thanks,
Ross

Is it screwed on with one of these? -- Dive Rite Plain (Non-Exhaust) Elbow w/Nut (the "elbow" will be straight if there is a pull dump inside). A crack in the nut could make it pop off from overpressure.

Is the inflator hose secured to the elbow with a wire tie or similar clamp, because it should be.

Is the inflator hose secured to the elbow with a wire tie or similar clamp, because it should be.
Yes the corrugated hose is attached with a zip tie as shown in the attached photo. It does not use the dive right elbow mentioned above however. Tugging hard on the hose does not budge it. It seems to be a secure connection when testing it by hand.

Given that the internal pressure of the BC bladder should only be a few PSI It's hard to imagine how enough pressure is building up in the system to blow this connection apart with a loud pop. Sure seems like high pressure is building in the corrugated hose or shoulder fitting and not making it to the bladder but I have no reasonable explanation on how that could possibly occur. Unless the output pressure/volume of the inflator mechanism spikes under certain circumstances?

Thanks,
Ross

Attachments

• 20240727_115004.jpg
    20240727_115004.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a hex (or octagon) -shaped flange nut. Have you tried unscrewing and tightening it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom