What the ?#$@ is the deal with LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptPaul:
I understand, but maybe someone from LP could provide a link to the shadow company. "We buy our grey market AL gear from JoeBob Underwater Research Co. I have the LP PO's or check copies to prove it." Someone out there knows the trail or pieces of the trail that can be matched up.

Maybe someone from your shop or another one could post all the keyman prices or dealer costs on your AL/SP gear.

ReefHound:
You're really getting desperate now. This practice went the way of the dino over a decade ago.
Are you talking about the practice of checking c-cards? You must be kidding, right? I guess I missed the memo in 1997 saying that its OK to sell SCUBA gear, air and charter spots to non-divers. Sorry. Do you actually dive or get air fills? Try getting on a live-aboard without a c-card.

Hey, shop owners/employees, want to comment on this one?

bluewatertoy:
I sure hope you have deep pockets. To deny a purchase of gear to a customer without a C-card is cutting your own throat. I own an automotive shop and if your car is broken, you want it fixed and have cash in hand, it is not my problem whether you have a licence or not. Dont' try and be the scuba police. Just make a sale.:coffee:
Kelly

Kelly,
No deep pockets here. Remember, I own a dive shop.
Do you know what the lawyers would do to us if we sold a non-diver gear and he killed himself? Bye-bye everything. I'm not even sure that V&B would represent us in court.
My shop would be owned by Joe Smith's mother.

ReefHound:
Maybe someone from your shop or another one could post all the keyman prices or dealer costs on your AL/SP gear.

Could happen. Kinda surprised it hasn't.

CaptPaul:
Are you talking about the practice of checking c-cards? You must be kidding, right? I guess I missed the memo in 1997 saying that its OK to sell SCUBA gear, air and charter spots to non-divers. Sorry. Do you actually dive or get air fills? Try getting on a live-aboard without a c-card.

Do you actually read? You said selling gear, nothing about air or charter spots. Most everyone checks cards for air (esp. nitrox) and charters, one more reason why there isn't this mass of uncertified divers out there buying gear online. They would be all dressed up with no place to go.

You're obviously here to preach not discuss issues.

CaptPaul:
On SB, does anyone ever talk about onliners selling SCUBA gear to uncertified customers? You know the goverment likes to regulate everything. Throughtout the years OUR industry has done a great job of policing itself. I won't sell a reg to a OW student until he/she completes the course. Does LP ask about dive certification?

What do you think will happen when non-divers start using gear bought online and have serious accidents with it? If the right people make a big deal over such incidents, gov agencies will take us over and regulate the bejesus out of us. We'll all suffer, including the LP guys who claim to be divers.

Please don't reply with "certified divers can have accidents with gear purchased on or off line" I realize that, but it's not the point I'm trying to make. We check c-cards.

The shops I deal with and most others I know of will sell almost anything to almost anybody except breathing gas. That requires a c-card (or paintball waiver). It does not seem to be very smart for a shop to refuse a $3000 sale to the nice old lady with no c-card who wants to surprise her grandson with a complete set for Xmas.

CaptPaul:
Kelly,
No deep pockets here. Remember, I own a dive shop.
Do you know what the lawyers would do to us if we sold a non-diver gear and he killed himself? Bye-bye everything. I'm not even sure that V&B would represent us in court.
My shop would be owned by Joe Smith's mother.

Nothing at all. You have no liability for what someone does with something after they leave your store. Name one example of such a lawsuit where a store was wiped out.

Of course, if you rented the gear or serviced the gear and it turns out the gear was faulty, you might have a problem. Card or no card.

RoatanMan:
Mistakes do happen. A mistake that LP will undoubtedly resolve.

In the mean time- look at all of this undeserved bad publicity.

Shame on all of us. Post #77.

its not retail theift.. its holding the payment meaning there is a problem with what you recieved.. and i know that mastercard will actually cover warrienty for the stuff you buy as well..

the way it works is you call them up say hey they sent me damged and used iteams could you hold the payment so i dont get charged untill this gets all sorted out..

1 think of it this way your car breaks down.. mechanic says 500 and its good to go you pay then he says well for 100 more ill fix it you say nah ill take it elsewere for that price and can i get what i payed back he goes ok heres 250 with no work done you tell the card company to hold payment meaning he charged you but you didnt recive what you ordered.. have you ever read the terms of your criedit card or even called them up and asked them what their trems are.,. they cover you for everything because they dont want to pay out of there pocket..

not retal theift because is holding payment and some criedet card companys pay at the end of the month makeing sure that all the carges are legit meaning if someone calls them when they get there bill and goes i didnt buy that at the frist of the month they go ok we wont send them the money.. i spent a good deal of time talking to people about the terms so i know how protect i am from fraud bad deals ect..

if you order something and its wrong first talk to the company and if its not settled fast.. call your criedit card company and ask to hold payment so they dont send the money to begin with.. that way there is no charge back as the money hasnt been sent to begin with..

i have had cases were i order something and then they send half the money back saying sorry we are currently out of stock but heres your half you money and they basicly try to hold it for as long as possable..

the terms state that if there is a discrepancy between the purchase iteam / servieces that you should inform the card company as soon as it happens.. to avoid the whole they sent me something broken and wont replace it mess..

im not saying they wont replace or or are not going too im just letting yopu know about your consumer rights..

ReefHound:
Most everyone checks cards for air (esp. nitrox) and charters, one more reason why there isn't this mass of uncertified divers out there buying gear online. They would be all dressed up with no place to go.
True, and that's good.

Just making people think, not preaching.

CaptPaul:
Just making people think, not preaching.

Well, I think you're having the opposite effect by playing hit and run, bouncing from one idea to another, never staying on one long enough to have a healthy discussion. You're throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping something will stick.

Back
Top Bottom