What the ?#$@ is the deal with LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptPaul:
I understand, but maybe someone from LP could provide a link to the shadow company.

You sell AL regs? You can do it yourself. Buy a AL reg from LP. When it gets in, contact AL, and check the serial number. Find what store it was shipped too. What will they say? They already know it's from a batch that went to LP, and will tell you some bull story. And if they DO give you shop name, look it up. Bet you find a LDS that doesn't exist, that happens to be a LP warehouse.

ReefHound:
You must be a magnet of another kind. Where do you find all these people? I know dozens and dozens of divers who purchase online and I've never known one who thought the LDS owed them anything on their online gear.

Scubaboard has over 50,000 members and thousands of new posts each day, and I can't recall anyone ever buying something online and getting upset with a LDS for not fixing it for free. Can you point out a few examples here I may have missed? Or do these people only exist in your world for some reason?

Where I live seems to have an inordinate amount of folks who seem to think the world exists to serve them, and only their needs. I have pointed out examples from my own shop. I truly think it's an attitude of entitlement that seems to pervade the area in which I live.

-Divenomad

CaptPaul:
You got proof of this? I'd love to see it. If proof was ever obtained in the form of an AL invoice showing gear funneled through a shadow, it would turn the SCUBA industry upside down. Heads would roll, people would lose their jobs. I wish a disgruntled ex-LP employee would spill the beans on this. I had a hour long conversation with the AL national sales manager about this. I asked very pointed, hard-nosed questions. He had all the right answers. Of course, I don't believe everything I hear, but he was very good at defending AL wrt what you're talking about above. I even went down the road "this may be happening at a very high level in AL that you would not know about". Didn't seem to be the case. Maybe the best option is to open the onliners as authorized dealers and make them follow the MAP. We talked about this. Seems AL and SP are approached at every DEMA show from the big online guys to open them up as authorized dealers...."we'll place a $5M order". Problem is that they'll then have $5M worth of real AL gear, won't follow the MAP and will not care if AL pulls their dealership because they will already have the gear.

I agree, everything has serial numbers. It can be tracked. Either stop it or get on the program. Don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

Hi CaptPaul. Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I wanted to stay out of this, but I can't resist......................

Like you, I am a local scuba store owner. I also operate a FULLY-AUTHORIZED online scuba sales site. I bet you have been in the scuba business much longer than I have, but I would like to pass along these questions for you to think about. Often times, when we use our own common sense, it is easier to make sense of a situation than if we simply listen to others.....our suppliers, our friends, others in our business. Remember, I am not talking about any SINGLE manufacturer here and am not directing any accusations or disparaging remarks toward any company in particular.

1. Many people surmise that Leisure Pro does something in the neighborhood of 25-28 MILLION dollars annually in scuba equipment sales. This is larger than ANY scuba retail store in the world....even larger than all but two of the individual scuba brand names. Do you REALLY think Leisure Pro could run a purchasing operation with the degree of sopistication necessary to get that kind of volume from "hidden" sources, closing scuba stores, foreign suppliers, and any of the other places you are lead to believe their stuff comes from?

2. If a scuba company WAS selling directly to them, or to a shill, while proclaiming to the world that they were not, do you think any one hour conversation you have with an executive of such a company would result in your breaking them down to make an admission that they are TRAINED to never make?

3. Do you realize that much that you have been told by the major scuba companies about how they are protecting you with their restrictive and closed policies is really nothing more than giving a COMPLETE UNOBSTRUCTED, UNMOLESTED EXCLUSIVE franchise to Leisure Pro to do as they please, at whatever price they please, without any worry that they will face any price competition from their authorized dealers?

4. Do you see that the restrictions placed on you by some of the major scuba companies has NOTHING to do with protecting your "margin" and EVERYTHING to do with keeping harmony among the authorized dealers, reducing for THEM the need to do real, sincere dealer support and maintenance?

5. Do you realize that if you place an advance order for the next great new regulator, bc, or computer - MONTHS IN ADVANCE OF THE RELEASE DATE - that Leisure Pro will have that item in their inventory for sale as fast as you do? Now tell me, how in the world can this happen unless they are getting it from the EXACT SAME efficient distribution channel that you do?

6. If you can click a little link on your desktop and enter the serial number of any regulator to determine who it was shipped to, what date it was shipped, and what date it was sold.....why couldn't the scuba manufacturers, who claim be be doing everything possible to protect you from "unauthorized" dealers, use that same tool (which THEY designed) to find out where Leisure Pro got the regulator from and simply go out and SHUT DOWN that source, solving the problem of "unauthorized" sales once and forever?

7. This is the most important issue. NAME ME ONE THING that any of your major scuba suppliers has EVER done to protect or isolate you from the ravages of your most serious retail issue - your inability to compete with a mail-order operation that sells your same brand of equipment for half the price for which you are REQUIRED to retail that merchandise. Just name me ONE thing. If you are successful in naming just ONE thing, I will shut up and never again post another word about this problem!

I WOULD LIKE TO REPEAT THAT I AM NOT TALKING HERE ABOUT ANY PARTICULAR SCUBA COMPANY! I AM EXPRESSING MY OPINION; AN OPINION THAT I HAVE FULL RIGHTS TO EXPRESS ON THIS OR ANY OTHER PUBLIC FORUM.

In this tough retail business we are in, we must look out for our own interests. Remember, as much as you might like the individuals you deal with at your various suppliers; and as much as you might believe they are operating in your best interest; and as much as may believe that they are your "partners" in this business, working to assure you success......they are nothing more than people that you give YOUR money to. They need YOU! You do not need them.

Oh, just one more question. Since the Christmas shopping season is the LARGEST consumer spending season in America, with some estimates that over 40% of all retail spending occurs during a single month, every retail store should benefit greatly from such a season. To benefit, you have to offer bargains that will bring the customers into your store and you have to promote your sales with advertising telling the customer how THEY benefit by spending their Christmas money with you. Remember, they know they can get 40% off at the ski shop, 35% off at the electronics store, gigantic discounts at Sears, Best Buy, WalMart, you name it........Christmas is also the discount season. If your scuba companies require you to sell scuba equipment in December at the exact same price you sell it in July, stripping you of any ability to advertise, be competitive, and promote your business during this gigantic selling season........well, how were YOUR Christmas retail sales in 2006?

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Phil Ellis

Divenomad:
Where I live seems to have an inordinate amount of folks who seem to think the world exists to serve them, and only their needs. I have pointed out examples from my own shop. I truly think it's an attitude of entitlement that seems to pervade the area in which I live.

-Divenomad

If you have a particular tough local scene you have my condolences. As I said, we have a pretty large cross section of the dive community here and I haven't seen that attitude of entitlement at all.

There has been discussions about manufacturer warranty coverage. If you buy from an authorized dealer you are supposed to be able to take it to any authorized dealer for warranty repairs and service. Presumably you are reimbursed for this and I don't think this is what you're talking about anyway. There are some who feel the manufacturer owes them a warranty regardless of where purchased. After all, buying from an unauthorized dealer doesn't change the fact the manufacturer made the product. But this is an issue with the manufacturer, not any particular dealer.

CaptPaul:
You got proof of this? I'd love to see it. If proof was ever obtained in the form of an AL invoice showing gear funneled through a shadow, it would turn the SCUBA industry upside down. Heads would roll, people would lose their jobs. I wish a disgruntled ex-LP employee would spill the beans on this. I had a hour long conversation with the AL national sales manager about this. I asked very pointed, hard-nosed questions. He had all the right answers.

He had all the right answers because he's already got his dog-n-pony dance down for this for each time a dealer asks about it.

Of course, I don't believe everything I hear, but he was very good at defending AL wrt what you're talking about above. I even went down the road "this may be happening at a very high level in AL that you would not know about". Didn't seem to be the case.

Remember, he gets paid sales comission on those huge accounts that they are selling to under the table. He has no insterest in making them go away.

Maybe the best option is to open the onliners as authorized dealers and make them follow the MAP.

That's what Oceanic is doing. they are in the process of making LP an authorized Oceanic dealer that will follow MAP. If you can't beat them, join them.

this right here shows the purchasing power of LP. They buy enough gear that the manufacturer can't do with out them. Hats off to Oceanic for taking a proactive step in the way they dealt with it. Now it puts their dealers on a level playing field.

Seems AL and SP are approached at every DEMA show from the big online guys to open them up as authorized dealers...."we'll place a $5M order". Problem is that they'll then have $5M worth of real AL gear, won't follow the MAP and will not care if AL pulls their dealership because they will already have the gear.

There is a forrest behind all those trees that you see.

They already have this network setup. They don't want some "new kid" coming in and offering this stuff online and messing that up.

As for proof of this invoice, both AL and LP and any "shadow company" name on the receipt are too smart to have anything with real proof or leakable. I think you already know that.

I agree, everything has serial numbers. It can be tracked. Either stop it or get on the program. Don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

I think you already know the answer to this also. If they really wanted to stop it they could with serial numbers. That is IF the AL dealers were shipping them product without them knowing this. But they already have full knowledge of it, so why bother to track it with a serial number database?

They read these threads. they know exactly what is being said here. They know what is being talked about and what dealers/shaddows we are referring to. Even their corporate lawyers read these threads. (there are few here than can show proof of this, but I will not ask them to).

Has it stopped them shipping product to them? The answer is no... a big NO.

In the long run, I could care less that AL ships directly to LP. What most here have a problem with is how they screw the LDS's with a different set of standards.

Now were seeing intelligent conversation about this issue. I guess my "preaching" brought out some good things to think about.

Thanks for the info PhilElis & Mike_S.

fire_diver:
You sell AL regs? You can do it yourself. Buy a AL reg from LP. When it gets in, contact AL, and check the serial number. Find what store it was shipped too. What will they say? They already know it's from a batch that went to LP, and will tell you some bull story. And if they DO give you shop name, look it up. Bet you find a LDS that doesn't exist, that happens to be a LP warehouse.
When I can't find a SS# registered on the AL dealers site, I'll call AL, talk to some nice customer service people and give them the SS. They can't find it in their system either. Then I get the "I'll do some research and get back to you." Of course, I never hear anything back about this piece of gear.

Makes you wonder, huh?

mike_s:
That's what Oceanic is doing. they are in the process of making LP an authorized Oceanic dealer that will follow MAP. If you can't beat them, join them.

this right here shows the purchasing power of LP. They buy enough gear that the manufacturer can't do with out them. Hats off to Oceanic for taking a proactive step in the way they dealt with it. Now it puts their dealers on a level playing field.

I've been told by our Mares (an LP authorized online dealer) rep that online sales of Mares has gone down since they are legit now and made to follow MAP. What do you think LP will do if they are opened up by ALL the manufacturers, made to follow MAP, and start losing sales to the LDS, since the LDS can now compete fairly with LP?

CaptPaul:
I've been told by our Mares (an LP authorized online dealer) rep that online sales of Mares has gone down since they are legit now and made to follow MAP. What do you think LP will do if they are opened up by ALL the manufacturers, made to follow MAP, and start losing sales to the LDS, since the LDS can now compete fairly with LP?

hmmm... You'd think that if they were a Mares dealer, that Mares would be proud enough to list them as a dealer on their authorized dealer website.

LP is not listed

http://www.mares.com/dealers.php?continent=2&type=dealers&region=ALL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom