What Support Equipment for CC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few items that I don’t think have been mentioned that the OP should consider. For all of the items that I’m suggesting, I think it wise to consult with your instructor.

For your air diluent class and initial CCR dives you’ll want a reel with sufficient line to shoot a bag from depth, and double that amount of line if you’ll be diving in the ocean. I prefer very simple primary reels like the ones offered by Light Monkey and Halcyon. You’ll want a second reel when you advance to your trimix class.

A lift bag or strong SMB that can be filled via a Schrader valve. I’ve been using Carter bags for years and have not needed to look elsewhere so don’t know of other manufacturers to recommend. As with a reel, you will want a second bag when you move on to trimix.

On each of my bailout regulator first stages I’ve attached a reliable 2nd stage, a SPG on a short hose, a LP inflator hose with QD fitting, and a female side, slide lock Schrader valve fitting screwed directly onto the first stage. I bought several of these years ago and don’t remember where I got them, but found something similar on the DGX website. I’ll attempt to attach a link to their page.

DGX Adapter: Turns LP Reg Hose into BC Inflator Hose

@OceanEyes why not just use a drysuit hose?

As far everything else, I don't think any of them are CCR specific with the potential exception of the DSMB's with a schrader valve, though I still prefer to do that from the mouth. You go slightly head down, exhale fully into the CCR, bail out, then shoot the DSMB as normal. Slightly head down is somewhat important since you'll end up a bit positive while shooting it. Exhale fully, then get back on the loop. I found that a lot easier than trying to futz with my drysuit hose or one off of bailout. I also use QC6's instead of inflator hoses, so that's part of it.

Thanks,
Since the O2ptima uses 4 cells with one out of the voting logic is it possible to use the unit with only three cells, basically use it like a 3 cell breather?
I think the Nerd 2's will allow using only 2 cells?
I would never do this as a newbie but later....maybe.
Being able to use only 3 cells would make keeping a spare on hand less important.
I'm probably missing something.

You're missing the part that say something like "Never ever dive with a broken or missing/malfunctioning parts CCR"...

Nobody mentioned a decent substantial reel for the SMB.

I use a 100m Kent Tooling reel which has a bit of weight to it, not too excessive though. Coupled with a CO2 or crack bottle SMB, it turns the chore of ascent into somewhat less of a challenge.

With OC I've always dived with the big Halcyon blobs - 6' as the primary and 4'6" for the backup, both on 60m Apeks hand-held spools. For OC this was so easy; pull out from pocket, unclip, hold in that one-handed simple way (you need to learn!) then disconnect the drysuit hose, put it on the spiggot; last look around and check then give it the beans. Off it went and leave the spool to run out whilst you put the connector back on the drysuit with the other hand. Then start winding up. OK, slightly awkward at a stop, but just use a double ender and cave tying techniques. At deco just let the spool bounce up and down below you; I'd put the line in a double-ender which I'd keep in my hand (so it wouldn't cut through the dry glove).

Anyway, worked well.

Until I moved to CCR. There's so much else going on that all of that messed with my head. During the ascent you've all of the dumping and injecting and monitoring and more dumping and winding and monitoring and injecting.... Lots to do.

The biggest challenge by a long way on CCR is holding your stops for hours. On OC you use your lungs to keep within a very tight margin for your stop. Not on CCR where you've got to be so switched on to keep a stop in open water; if you dump gas to correct an ascent, it's diluent that's going up in bubbles. If you descend, it's diluent you need to inject into the wing. With practice you will master this, but not in your early days.

So the dirty secret is to use the weight of the SMB reel and buoyancy for those fine adjustments; if you're slightly ascending, squeeze the line and use the weight of the reel to pull yourself down. If descending, use the SMB to pull yourself up (with the waves).

There's the other lazy option to be a bit negative and cling on to the reel. What's wrong with that children??? Oh, the waves bouncing you around; that you're negative should something happen; and it's just not Cricket.

Also, on OC there's almost an infinite amount of gas available for inflating the blob. Not with CCR and definitely not with expensive trimix bailout.

Thus a decent reel plus self-inflating SMB fits the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom