What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

• PADI Self-Reliant Diver, never turned down

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • PADI Self-Reliant Diver, turned down

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • SDI Solo Diver, never turned down

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • SDI Solo Diver, turned down

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other agency, designate in post, never turned down

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other agency, designate in post, turned down

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Solo dive, not certified, never turned down

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Solo dive, not certified, turned down

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi John,

Out of interest, what is your LA Co certification number? I certified 7 years later and am 002616
View attachment 646311
I will post it here when I get to my real computer (I’m on my iPad right now).

SeaRat

I got the card, but don't know the number. It's kinda worn through. Whatever it was, it starts with a "5..." My NAUI Instructor # is 2710.

Attachments

• LA County Certification001.jpg
    LA County Certification001.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 38
  • LA County Certification002.jpg
    LA County Certification002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 49
Somehow the threads about solo diving or self-reliant diving turn into a discussion about the acceptability of it, or a breach of the buddy system. But there are many situations where self-reliant diving is a must.

The most common situation: an instructor taking novices into the water for the very first time. If anything were to happen, the instructor cannot rely on the buddy system, as the novice divers in his/her group are likely completely unaware of any problems. Everything is completely new, there is no experience that tells them what is out of the ordinary. The instructor is effectively diving solo.

A less common situation, but one that is hardly ever given much thought:
Dad goes for a dive on the housereef with his 11 year old daughter. They're both certified, they've both learned how to share air in case of problems.
But in real life, the 11 year old kid is not gonna save her dad in case the water turns brown. You can't expect the same reaction from a child in problem situations as you can expect from an adult. In such a case where an adult takes a kid diving, the adult should be very aware of this situation and realise that (s)he is effectively diving solo. Being self-reliant certainly has added value.

Technical diving is a different story, since it's based on self-reliant divers in a team. It's however beyond the realm of recreational diving, and you can't expect the knowledge about technical diving to be present in a recreational divecenter. However the two examples above should be food for thought in every divecenter.

When you do the SDI solo course it mentions those two examples. Instructors and parents. You're always diving solo in those situations. The only question is whether you're actually prepared for it.
Also mentioned in the solo course...thinking solo is among the best ways to prepare yourself to actually help others. Too right.
I wish they'd mention more of this sort of thing right off the bat with new divers. Try to think solo from the start. Aim for that regardless of how you dive or with whom.

When you do the SDI solo course it mentions those two examples. Instructors and parents. You're always diving solo in those situations. The only question is whether you're actually prepared for it.
Also mentioned in the solo course...thinking solo is among the best ways to prepare yourself to actually help others. Too right.
I wish they'd mention more of this sort of thing right off the bat with new divers. Try to think solo from the start. Aim for that regardless of how you dive or with whom.
Problem is there's always this focus on mediocrity and the Local Dive Shop. Holiday divers are encouraged to be just good enough and unless they dive at home, it will always be a follow-the-leader type dive.

Getting away from them means you've the time to enjoy the wonders of the sub-aquatic world at your own pace, without other people scaring everything away.

Every dive's a solo dive regardless of whom you dive with.

When I started diving in 2020, I used the gear list from both the SDI Solo course and the PADI Self Reliant course to determine what gear I needed, to dive. The owner of my LDS asked me if I was planning on going "solo". My answer of course was, no no, always with a buddy. My 1st dive as an OW diver, I was diving self reliant, and have ever since. Did SDI Solo last summer and a couple of nights ago, I did my 250th dive, of which about 20 have been completely solo, and a fair number have been me leaving the "group" down below, and coming up solo, due to my consumption.

I'm diving next month with Islamorada Dive Center and I made them aware that I intend to dive Solo.

They said "it's at the discretion of the Captain" and exchanged several emails with me to confirm not only my Solo certification but also when my last solo dive was.

They also require the following equipment (which I typically carry anyway except a mask).

> Hiya you will need the required equipment:
> -backup mask
> -pony bottle
> -backup reg
> -2 cutting tools
> -2 lights
> -2 signaling devices

Two lights and two signalling devices? That’s keen.
I don’t take two masks. I figure the only thing likely to remove my mask is a buddy’s fin.
That said I’ve been trying to devise some easy deployment system for a mask. Prob out of boredom.
I never take a torch just for the hell of it. I don’t have lights. I dont generally dive at night and when I do I tend to shoot for full moon and dive w the lights out.
But if that’s what they want I’d figure out a cheap way to supply it I guess. Stuff all that junk into a pocket n forget about it like.

I'm diving next month with Islamorada Dive Center and I made them aware that I intend to dive Solo.

They said "it's at the discretion of the Captain" and exchanged several emails with me to confirm not only my Solo certification but also when my last solo dive was.

They also require the following equipment (which I typically carry anyway except a mask).
What's a signalling device?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom