What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

• PADI Self-Reliant Diver, never turned down

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • PADI Self-Reliant Diver, turned down

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • SDI Solo Diver, never turned down

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • SDI Solo Diver, turned down

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other agency, designate in post, never turned down

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other agency, designate in post, turned down

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Solo dive, not certified, never turned down

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Solo dive, not certified, turned down

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also audio signaling devices such as whistle or air horn.

Lights are required because we’re diving a deep, largely intact wreck.

Dive Alert or a whistle, signaling mirror?
PADI Self Reliant required redundant signaling devices, both audible and visual. Don’t know why, but I thought someone had covered the audible so I was throwing in visual beyond the SMB. Was obviously wrong about the audible being covered.

What, no whistle?

SeaRat
I mistakenly thought someone had discussed audible devices so I was listing visual.
But, yes, I carry a whistle, a DSMB and a signal mirror. Then I always have a light on me. I probably don’t need the mirror, it’s a hold over from my backpacking days and it basically takes up no room.

Erik

You wouldn't, unless you lack the experience and skills. Areas that cater to vacation divers tend to be more concerned with liability issues. I doubt there are any dive boats in California that care about solo certifications and very few actually care if you have a buddy.

They also require the following equipment (which I typically carry anyway except a mask).
> -backup mask
> -pony bottle
> -backup reg
> -2 cutting tools
> -2 lights
> -2 signaling devices

It is obvious that one needs to be able to breathe, to see and to be seen. Entanglements must be dealth with, too.
But...

Whoever sent you that list must have copied it from a recreational diving manual.
Redundant buoyancy is missing and it's critical.
(droppable weights would be one solution, drysuit another, double bladder yet another, etc.)

Breathing and buoyancy are those things that keep you alive.

Why redundant buoyancy?
Has anyone ever had a bcd explode?
A leak...you just keep blowing it up, right?
It’s not something I tend to worry about but I may be missing something.

For redundant buoyancy I carry a backup BCD in the pocket of my BCD.

Why redundant buoyancy?
Has anyone ever had a bcd explode?
My friend had his drysuit neck seal fail and the 39F water entered his suit at 100ft depth inside a mine.
Without redundant buoyancy he might not have returned.

Another friend of mine also had a drysuit problem. The suit inflation valve seat failed and she had to be carried to the surface by her two buddies (=redundant buoyancy) because the situation was stressfull and she did not remember to fill her wing.

Yuri Lipski made a mistake. He did carry too much lead and his BCD was not capable of keeping him afloat. As he did not have redundant buoyancy, he embarked on a one-way journey to the very deep bottom. There's also a reaction video:
It depends on the size of the leak, does it not?
Just make sure that you do fill your BCD before each and every dive until the OPV's operate.
They are unlikely to fail during the dive then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom