What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

• PADI Self-Reliant Diver, never turned down

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • PADI Self-Reliant Diver, turned down

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • SDI Solo Diver, never turned down

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • SDI Solo Diver, turned down

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other agency, designate in post, never turned down

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other agency, designate in post, turned down

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Solo dive, not certified, never turned down

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Solo dive, not certified, turned down

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, neither the SDI nor the PADI solo/self-reliant course requires a back-up mask; PADI recommends it, only. Redundant buoyancy is not required, either. That is for training. SDI even allows a SpareAir as a redundant air source....

Once you actually go solo diving, what you need to carry is up to you. Redundancy of nearly everything is a best practice. A SpareAir as a redundant gas source would be stupid, very stupid.

Redundant buoyancy is not required, either.
That is either plain stupid, or redundant buoyancy is taken for granted, or the meaning of the words is ambigious.
Any diver must make sure he/she can return to the surface.
Anything else would be a suicide.

Note: with redundant buoyancy I do mean redundant means of achieving buoyancy (such as dropping weights), not redundant air bladders.
Once you actually go solo diving, what you need to carry is up to you. Redundancy of nearly everything is a best practice. A SpareAir as a redundant gas source would be stupid, very stupid.

Note: with redundant buoyancy I do meant redundant means of achieving buoyancy (such as dropping weights), not redundant air bladders.
This would be the opposite of the usual definitions.

This would be the opposite of the usual definitions.
I would respectfully disagree.

And I am curious. Do we define our words differently?

Redundant (means of achieving) buoyancy is very much different from redundant buoyancy compensator devices.
Buoyancy versus device.

Redundant means of achieving buoyancy are literrally just that. Any means of achieving buoyancy. How could anyone claim that dropping weights would not be a way of achieving neutral or positive buoyancy??? Redundant air bladders would be another thing.

I would respectfully disagree.

And I am curious. Do we define our words differently?

Redundant (means of achieving) buoyancy is very much different from redundant buoyancy compensator devices.
Buoyancy versus device.

Redundant means of achieving buoyancy are literrally just that. Any means of achieving buoyancy. How could anyone claim that dropping weights would not be a way of achieving neutral or positive buoyancy??? Redundant air bladders would be another thing.
Yes, we are using different languages.
Buoyancy is an upward forces. Dropping weights does not increase that upward force, it only stops working against it.
Inserting "means of achieving" completely changes what you are saying.
Redundant buoyancy is an adjective modifying an noun. The noun is buoyancy, an upward force. Redundant means more than one way of achieving that upward force, such as an SMB, or a drysuit, or dual bladders.
I think you are confusing buoyancy with movement upwards.

For redundant buoyancy I carry a backup BCD in the pocket of my BCD.

That’s kind of what I was imagining!

Dry suit failure is a specific problem but the redundancy there is addressed by default unless you’re diving w just a harness. I usually dive wetsuits these days so not so much to choose from.

Diving with a balanced rig is more important than redundant buoyancy.
How would you ensure this if diving a deep OC dive with three stages?

Yes, we are using different languages.
Buoyancy is an upward forces. Dropping weights does not increase that upward force, it only stops working against it.
I have to agree with that. You're correct. When I talk about buoyancy, I am not thinking about physical forces but the net sum, which is more relevant to me. I could have chosen some other wording to avoid confusion :)
Inserting "means of achieving" completely changes what you are saying.
Yes. That's how I thought about it but I failed to write it out fully.
I think you are confusing buoyancy with movement upwards.
True

Back
Top Bottom