What shop equipment do you DIY guys have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I move into a new house in two months, and I will have a 34 x 24 foot garage to play with. I've always been a DIY guy, and am both an engineer, and have my general machinist cert, and work in a very well equipped tool and die shop.

This new garage I will have at my disposal has got me planning. I already have a 13 x 40 lathe, knee mill, and old surface grinder that needs to be refurbed coming my way this summer, as well as a 60 or 80 gallon 5hp air compressor. But I'm curious what you other diy guys have at home, and what would your ideal setup look like. So let's see some pics, who has the most toys (Tobin, you're not invited to this party :D).

Jim

Band saw... need one for sure!
I have an old Index 9x42 knee mill and a 13" 1944 Leblond lathe. My band saw is just the $200 Harbor Freght floor model.

Def a band saw and a smaller lathe. I have a 6x19 and a 9x22 with ER40 (1/8- 1") collets to go with them but for the tiny (reg) parts I sometimes make a small mini lathe with a really small chuck would (I think) be great....def on my to get list.

A small lathe would be nice, I'm excited to get the 13 x 40, but I'm also eyeing up one of those 7 x 10 benchtop lathes. If I get one I'd like to CNC it for smaller intricate parts.

I am thinking even smaller, jewelers lathe maybe. I am doing parts that are in the 0.25 long by 0.135 inch diameter range so even my 6 inch chuck to massive compaired to the parts. I have a cheap 2 inch one but I am looking for a good quality small chuck. For small parts and reg part examination a lighted 2.5X magnifying glass is a huge help. I have an inexpensive lighted one on a home made mount over the small lathe chuck so I can see what I am doing, it really helps with the tiny parts. A set of jewlers loops are very useful if you are doing reg part inspection.

Old school - but grab a die filer...they pop up used all the time, usually quite cheap, since commercial scale techniques no longer need to rely on them (having gone to EDM and other cool ways of making stuff). I think that's one piece of gear that a home machinist should have that most overlook...but boy is it a time saver!

That is an old Atlas or Craftsman, I have seen it before but don't recall which.
I have collets but find that they are great IF you happen to be working with something very close to one of the sizes, otherwise a chuck is still the best option.

Man I wished you had not got me started, I want a watch lathe. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom