$275 DIY Hookah System w/2 Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Reece

Registered
Reaction score
After reading posts on this forum I became interested in a DIY Hookah system. I became a certified SCUBA diver in 1981, but have not been diving in the past 20 years. And I am just too old now. But I recently installed a pool and wanted something that would allow me to stay down to do some detail cleaning, or just to play. Being retired, I could not afford a lot of money for something like this. And I figured if it all failed, then I would just have a nice air compressor for my shop.

For the compressor, I chose the California Air Tools Ultra Quiet Oil Free 2010A from Walmart for $165. It's the industrial model, which is in between the commercial and residential models of this compressor and puts out 2.20 CFM @ 90 PSI. I largely based my decision for this model because it's essentially the same compressor as the Hookamax 110v hookah diving unit costing $900. I added a cheap water trap / 40 micron air filter and a 3-way splitter so 2 people can have fun at the same time. Since I am just using this in a swimming pool, I bought 2 cheap octopus regulators on Walmart.com for $15 each. Surprisingly they work pretty well. As recommended on this forum, I washed out the compressor tank and hose with Simple Green and hot water. Then flushed well. As several have mentioned, Simple Green leaves a smell, but after a couple weeks it is essentially gone.

Testing in my pool, so far it works well. It will supply enough air for 2 people, if not doing anything strenuous and 1 doing strenuous scrubbing on the bottom. So I reached my goal and my total cost was about $275. So this met my needs.
1.jpg
2.jpg

This seems to be an excellent build. Would you mind sharing how its working? Also, would love to be able to ask you some questions on how to do the build...

I'd be scared having AC voltage driven power tools next to a body of water you are submerged in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom