Full Dive Shop Equipment. Price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I´d ask myself how much of that gear will you really use / need?
If I understand correctly, you are not planning on owning a shop. So how often do you run courses and how many participants do you have? In order to staff 2-4 divers you wont need 20+ suits, tanks etc.
What might work is: getting all the gear for a really good price, sorting out the stuff you need and trying to resell the rest. But you have to do the numbers.

When doing the numbers for the compressor you should consider the aspect "freedom". So its not only the price of running the compressor vs. cost of fills but also the question, how convenient it is to get the fills when you need them, how long it takes to get to the shop and back, opening hours etc.

that was also one of my ideas...just to resell it. Cuz to inspect all the tanks costs a crazy amount of money

Thx for ur post

I personally would keep the compressor, as I tend to dive 100 miles from land. If you can rent someone else’s gear, it’s never cost effective to own your own, at least for classes.

Are compressors really that "Kardashian" to maintain?

I personally would keep the compressor, as I tend to dive 100 miles from land. If you can rent someone else’s gear, it’s never cost effective to own your own, at least for classes.

Problem is also the transporting fees to my town. Its over 2000km away. So at my place we only dive in lakes, no sea.
Also I have no idea about the costs of owning a compressor, do you?

Absolutely no idea what it would cost. Someone can give me some "numbers"?
I don’t find compressors for personal use to be that expensive to maintain. Beyond initial purchase/commissioning price, you have an $80 filter every 25 hours. If you aren’t putting 12 hours a day on them, they don’t really wear out too badly.

So what I would calculate concerning gear (without planned compressor use):

(Cost for the shop´s stuff, including shipping + annual maintenance cost (repair kits etc) - estimated value of the stuff to be resold) / 5 (or any other value for the years that you think you will use it before you need replacement)
vs.
(Cost for rental gear * amount of divers per course + cost for transport and handling of the gear per course) * courses per year

Then you have the numbers on an annual base to compare. You could also put in a weighting factor for convenience or how much you want to own your own gear and be independent.

I can't speak for your location but in some locations if you are an instructor and are providing gear to your students you are assuming a much greater risk of liability and should discuss that with your insurance provider. If your students rent gear from a shop, you as the instructor are relatively free and clear of the warranty (fit for purpose and use) of that material and if it fails and results in accident or death you as the instructor would not be liable unless you noticed the fault and did not warn or correct the issue...but the owner of the equipment would be liable regardless.

Tort law is a mothershmucker, I would recommend against owning the equipment your students will use, especially if the financial compensation for use of that gear is not commensurate with the cost of maintaining it, life-cycle replacement, increase insurance costs, and potential headaches (lawsuits, etc.)

Just some thoughts.

-Z

I can't speak for your location but in some locations if you are an instructor and are providing gear to your students you are assuming a much greater risk of liability and should discuss that with your insurance provider. If your students rent gear from a shop, you as the instructor are relatively free and clear of the warranty (fit for purpose and use) of that material and if it fails and results in accident or death you as the instructor would not be liable unless you noticed the fault and did not warn or correct the issue...but the owner of the equipment would be liable regardless.

Tort law is a mothershmucker, I would recommend against owning the equipment your students will use, especially if the financial compensation for use of that gear is not commensurate with the cost of maintaining it, life-cycle replacement, increase insurance costs, and potential headaches (lawsuits, etc.)

Just some thoughts.

-Z

Absolutely, nice thoughts. Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom