What’s your favorite pair of fins and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
... Unfortunately my only remaining set that is useable are the brand new version. ... What do you think of them? Where might I look to find more? new or old? ...
I haven't had a chance to try out the new version of the "Giant UDT" yet, just some of the "regulars". I prefer the US Diver version because of the wider foot pocket, but they're near impossible to find.
I recently ran into a local diver that was kind enough to give me a small pile of the critters, so I'm pretty well set.
For the new duckies, see Dan at: http://www.vintagescubasupply.com
There's always ebay too.

still use my original usd blades i got in 92, my friend has a hard time keeping up with me and i thought i was going way slow and relaxed. Have thought about getting the new blades but cant find a reason since my orginals work fine..... maybe i should go with the they are newer so thats why i need them...lol

I have been debating putting spring straps on them though, but i need to look at more posts about building them

I used to dive with a set of puck rubber fins that had a heel piece secured with industrial springs. Made by farallon. Heavy but great power. I wish someone would bring them back.

---Bob

I am surprised to see that I am not the only one who still prefers the old style Blades. I seldom see them on dive boats anymore. I also like Quattros, and even the old Plana Avantis, but the foot pockets do not fit me as well as the Blades. Mine have at least 1000 dives on them, look like they have been dragged down the Interstate for about 50 miles, and are a constant source of embarrasment to my wife, but I still like them better than anything else that I have tried.

keyshunter:
I am surprised to see that I am not the only one who still prefers the old style Blades. I seldom see them on dive boats anymore. .....

Mine have at least 1000 dives on them, look like they have been dragged down the Interstate for about 50 miles, and are a constant source of embarrasment to my wife, but I still like them better than anything else that I have tried.
I love my blades so much that I even put up with having to get a bigger suitcase to fit their 26" length.

While I haven't dragged mine down the interstate, I did absolutely rip the bottoms to shreds while helping out the guy in the photo below. A knife and sandpaper restored them to reasonable condition.

My favorite fin has turned out to be the Jets, Especially after my last couple of dives where I followed everyone and realized that I was kicking at least 1/2 as often. Some of the divers were having to kick 4 cycles to my 1. And when I was asked to lead the group for the first time last week (working on my Navigation course) I was told that I have to slow down because I'm going to fast - basic frog kick, glide. So now I relax a bit more and it seems to be about right.

Tim

CNTdiver:
The Mares Quattros are amazing. Like many of the other members have explained, fins within the "Jetfin" category are for some people and all the others are for others. I understand that is extremely vague, but I am only seperating all fins into a "jetfin" and "non jetfin". Recommendation? Try them out. You may be a jetfin person or x fin person or y fin person, but you may be one of the rare people to perfer the Mares Quattros.

Quattros scored among the highest in this fin review. Check it out to see were your fins fall!

1999 fin comparison chart link by Diver.net:

http://www.divernet.com/gear/fins999/fintab999.htm

Higher Kgs the faster the fin!

Back
Top Bottom