What’s your favorite pair of fins and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my Aqalung Blades (the old version without the funky unclip thingy)...A friend of mine who tried Jets said they screwed up his horizontal position in a wetsuit but were great for diving dry (which is what we do most anyway) so I´m getting myself a pair from LP for cristmas...can´t believe that the freight from there is almost as much as the fins and that it´s still only 1/3 of what they cost at my LDS here!

Won´t even comment on the fullfoot fins...(wouldn´t be able to say anything nice...)

How come nobody's mentioned Apollo split fins? I've had the Bio-Fin Pro for 5 yrs now and they work great for me. Very effortless finning. Always well rated in Rodale's testing. They now make a version called XT pro which is a little stiffer than the original version, and also have an option of spring straps called C-straps.

Boogie711:
LOL - that's funny. And what would you recommend for the 98% of divers who aren't full time warm water wimps, and for whom full foot fins aren't an option?

:wink:

Wear thick neoprene socks under the fins. The power transfer is better, no straps to break and get hung up on, and no foot cramping. I'll dive wet down to the upper 50's with no prob.

deadend:
Wear thick neoprene socks under the fins. The power transfer is better, no straps to break and get hung up on, and no foot cramping. I'll dive wet down to the upper 50's with no prob.

That's why we install spring straps. No straps to break, and nothing to get hung up on. The reason I dive turtles is because I don't flutter kick. I'm a big fan of letting people behind me see the bottom too and a lot of my dives are on silty bottoms that I'm hovering 6" from. Frog kick in trim position with my feet up. I used to try this in my volo's and couldn't figure out why I could never keep up with my buddies. Now with a nice stiff blade fin, I have to keep stopping and waiting for them to catch up.

Favorite fins? My Sporasub freediving longfins. They're full foot and for Lake Ontario diving I have to double up the neoprene socks which of course means they fit very snugly and my toes go dead from the tight fit if I wear them longer than about 3 hours in one go.

For scuba though I must agree with the Jetfins. Have a pair of size M (means "microscopic" BTW) with original rubber straps and adore the things. I can even cram my drysuit boots into 'em although I'm looking at maybe getting a size L for the extra blade length if it will fit my DS boots better. Yes not only are Jets the best for the frog kick, but they're best for the backwards frog kick (I tried it with my old Cressi Frogs too and while it works, it's nowhere as efficient). The best thing about Jets IMO is not that they're fast - my freedive fins far outpace them in sheer linear speed - but that Jets are maneuverable. A buddy and I were doing blind line drills (I was the "disabled" diver) using touch contact and when I suddenly lost contact with my buddy (which means I stop) according to him I came to such a sudden instant stop he nearly rammed into me LOL! All I had done was stick my fins out sideways and instant STOP. We laughed about it later but it demonstrates just how Jets are far more than a source of propulsion in the water - they controkl your attitude, positioning, and everything else through the slightest movement.

>Full foot fins only are what I like<

I prefer them too. They were the fin of choice during the 1960s when I started diving and they are perfect for the kind of leisurely snorkelling I now enjoy.

This thread is about our favourite fins, not about what we would recommend to others. Fins are a very personal piece of kit and we all have our own priorities when it comes to the relative importance of the speed, manoueuvrability and endurance they offer. As far as I am concerned, a comfortable fit is paramount and full-foot fins fulfil this criterion for me.

Yes, he asked what fav fins where --not for recommendations. My fav fins are the Voit UDT Frog Feet (semi full foot) followed by the Voit Skindiver (full foot) followed by Mares full foot Plana whatevers--their performance version whatever it is. I have worn and do wear boots with full foots and boots work fine with the UDTs. My Mares are fitted for me barefoot or with a lycra sock. Oh, continuing, Force Fin Pros, I have gone to the dark side and the dark side is good. I have at long last some new UDTs but I sure wish for a new pair of Skindivers.
I am considering some new Apollo full foots or maybe I will try the open heels but since I much prefer full foot fins I will have to thunk on it some more.
Least favorite fins--Scuba Pro Jets, USD Rockets, any chunk of heavy rubber with any arrangement of slots, venturies, ports or whatevers. They kill my arches and burn out my calf muscles and give me cramps. I have competed in open water long distance swimming events so it ain't cuz I am weak.
Those are my favs and least fav, not recommendations, I am different from everyone else and proud of it--lol--peace--love. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom