What’s your favorite pair of fins and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricJ:
I'm thinking about taking them both to the pool so I can really see what the difference in speed is. Unless I see that the Tusa are dramatically faster, I think I'll be sticking with the Jet Fins.

I'll post the results of my little timed comparisons from the pool when I complete them.
Eric, let me give you the results of my test...about a month ago, my wife's LDS sponsored a demo dive. My wife decided to try one of those Seadoo scooters (about 2 1/2 mph). I was able to keep up with her doing a modified frog kick with my jets, a little on the strong side of the stroke. But, when I switched to a flutter kick, I had no troubles overtaking her, and my breathing rate wasn't any different than what it is normally.

not to be off topic... but can I ask why the focus on fast? I know that when I dive I am just fine barely moving... or the current is enough for me... there is so much to see!!!! In fact just got back from PDC (riviera Maya, on the mainland side right across from Coz). Even with the minor current on that side over the reef I felt that I was being moved along too FAST!!! Things to see!!! Pictures to take!!!! Now fin comfort.. that is definitely a concern, and I'm not saying fast shouldn't be... just curious why??? Thanks

Thanks for all the replies! Remember fins are like shoes, a personal choice of fit and comfort. I have a very wide foot so some fins just don't work as well as others, the same goes for shoes. Lots of people wear Nike but I like Reebok better, why, better fit. My foot is wide and reeboks run wider then Nike. I like the looks and quality of Nike but they tend to rip at the sides because of my wide foot. Sure I could go to footlocker and find a double e Nike but most Reeboks fit me off the shelf at a discount department store.

Full foot fins only are what I like. Cressi-sub Gara 3000 to be exact. 3 feet long and fast as h@ll. Had some jets and they were the worst pieces of s@#t I ever had. Gave 'em away to get them out of my sight. There's a reason imo why fin design has changed since the Sea Hunt era. My second favorite are Mares full foot quattros. Got some Oceanic V-12 that I like and are very efficient, just hate open heel fins.

AmyJ:
... just curious why??? Thanks

AmyJ,

"Why the focus on fast?" is a very good question. Consider that water is 800 times more dense than the air we normally move through, and that drag quadruples as speed doubles. Why indeed would a diver want a fin that would make them go fast :06: So much better for air consumption rates to slow down, move gently or just let the current carry you.

Another side benefit of very slow and very gentle movement--you can get much closer to the critters without scaring them away. :wink:

deadend:
Full foot fins only are what I like. Cressi-sub Gara 3000 to be exact. 3 feet long and fast as h@ll. Had some jets and they were the worst pieces of s@#t I ever had. Gave 'em away to get them out of my sight. There's a reason imo why fin design has changed since the Sea Hunt era. My second favorite are Mares full foot quattros. Got some Oceanic V-12 that I like and are very efficient, just hate open heel fins.

LOL - that's funny. And what would you recommend for the 98% of divers who aren't full time warm water wimps, and for whom full foot fins aren't an option?

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom