Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Others

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Prism

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys starting to research on rebreathers. it will be a while though til i get one. if ever i do im defintely getting a ccr. i listed the more famous ones and would like to see how the poll goes to get a general idea of whats out there. also could you explain why you voted for the particular rebreather?

Spoon,

The Cis-Lunar was the Rolls-Royce of its day. The software is now outdated, and the unit is no longer available.

The APD Evolution is a compact unit with good capabilities. It is CE rated, in mass production, and has good factory support.

The KISS is a simple (as the name suggests) and rugged unit, but with out some of the functionality of the Evo or the Meg.

The Meg is a good, solid unit, and is more flexible in its configuration than the Evo, but lacks the deco computer of that unit.

The Prism, produced by Steam Machines, in Lebanon, Tennessee, is an excellent unit with solid features.

I dive and teach the Inspiration, and find it to be a good and capable machine. I also am involved in bringing a unit that has only been offered to military units to the civilian market called the ShadowPac III.

Having dived and owned some of the rb's above, i can say that the rebreather of my choise is the current one i have now and that would be a Meg.
I have owned
Inspiration, way to big and clumpsy, i did not like the electronics on it.
Classis KISS, absolutelly loved this unit, my only concern was that i sometimes had to fight against current carrying heavy camera equipment and 2 bailouts, so i was not 100% comfortable with only manuall injection and i had found myself many times overbreathing the loop and got stressed that i was struggling not going low ppO2.
Megalodon, my new rb, it is absolutelly the best one i have every dived, i love it. There are not really anything bad i can say about this unit.
The Cis i have like, unfortunatelly it is out of date, the company stopped manufacturing them, but had been a dream for me to purchase. I would have bought one if it was not for the very expensive maintainance of it. The fact that you have to send the electronics back to Kevin every other year for a couple of thousands USD was not exactly what i would want to do. It is also very large and heavy.
One machine i would love to try, i have yet to see it in person is the Prism, but it is a great unit, actually one of mine favorites, but i never ordered one due to the problems with SMI to deliver them promptly. I was not ready to pay 7800USD for something that i had to wait for almost a year to get and the choise of instructors was very limited. The scrubber design of it is great and i am anxious to get it for my Meg.

Just my thoughts, but as others have told you please visit us at www.rebreatherworld.com the best place for getting information on rebreathers.

/Jonny

Disclaimer: I have zero experience diving CCRs; but Kevin Gurr's Ouroboros looks interesting - it seems to take inspiration (no pun intended...) from both the MK15.5/16 design and the Cis-Lunar.

MK 15.5's - Bullet proof. If I had a favorite I would say the CIS. Just for being so far ahead of it's time. A little big for smaller folks, but a full-fledged exploration CCR. Showing up with one in the early days of CCR diving always evoked awe, jealous conversation, smugness from some fat cat CIS owners and a whole host of related psychological weirdnesses particular to techies. Was it a great unit to dive - yup!

What rebreather would you choose or did you choose? :wink:
Well here my take on the units you mention and a few more ...

The Cis-Lunar is a fascinating CCR, ahead of its time with features that have yet to be matched by anyone else. On the downside all the features and redundancy make it a very complex unit. The computers (there were three setpoint controllers as well as integrated DCAP deco) are outdated, no wonder as they are about a decade old.
I would love to have one for history's sake, but it wouldn't be a unit I want to dive (much :wink: ).

The APD units are the sales leader in the CCR (if not rebreathers in general) market, and thus support and training are easy to come by. Units not necessarily, the newer Vision electronics still have a waiting period, and not all Gremlins have been sorted out. When they are the electronics can be updated per internet, certainly a nice feature that saves cost and time.

Personally I'm not a fan of dual controllers in lieu of a single controller and independent secondary pO2 display, just makes me uneasy. On that account alone I prefer other units. :(

The KISS rebreathers I like, especially the smaller Sport Kiss. Very simple, easiest to assemble and diassemble, packs very well (without tanks in a backpack if need be). Lack of electronics (including alarms) is a two sided sword of course, but I think it has appeal (certainly over some of the more elaborate electronics out there). I wouldn't mind diving a Sport Kiss. :)

The Meg is probably the single most adaptable rebreather out there, the ability to configure it pretty much exactly to your needs and the rock solid construction put it ahead of most other CCRs. Axial, radial and cartridge scrubbers will fit into three different sized cannisters, giving you unprecedented choice in that respect. Different sized tanks can be used, so you should be able to find a setup in any location and for any task. The unit travels well due to the modularity, too. There have been a bunch of electronics over the years, currently non-deco electronics are standard. The Meg would be mu second choice for a unit with over-the-shoulder counterlungs. :)

The PRISM is the choice I've made. The main appeal for me are the high performance radial scrubber and the simple, easy to use electronics. The analog secondary allows the unit to be safely used during a complete power failure. The downside is you have to be careful to avoid damage to the jeweled movement. It's well equipped with standard items like ADV and dual counterlung water drains, weights less than most CCRs making it a decent unit to travel with. You can fit 2 ltr or 3 ltr cylinders under the cowling, or larger ones if need be without it. Downside is the very limited supply, currently the wait is in the general neighborhood of about a year. The PRISM dives beautifully. :D

In addition to these CCRs you mentioned, I really like the MK15.5 (especially the SM1600 that has PRISM electronics). Again a unit with a high performance scrubber and easy to use electronics with analog secondary. It would be my first choice for a CCR with rear mounted counterlung if cost was no object. The downsides of the MK series are said costs, the limited supply of both units and spares, as well as the maintainance skills required to keep them going in the long run. But they are great rigs, and I would certainly like to have one. :D

The Ouroboros certainly deserves mention as a very feature rich CCR. Several of the features from the MK-5p are incorporated, such a deco info on the HUD, buddy lights, ability to isolate auto gas addition supply, offboard gases plug in etc. It's certainly one of the most tempting CCR additions in recent years ... . :)

On the dive boat Sat I heard talk of a rebreather developed by the CIA that can actually be purchased for about $4,000. It is a tiny unit that straps to your chest and is good for about 2 hours (however, I assume this is just at shallow depths). Anyone know anything about it? Apparently it is used occasionally in the movie industry.

drbill:
On the dive boat Sat I heard talk of a rebreather developed by the CIA that can actually be purchased for about $4,000. It is a tiny unit that straps to your chest and is good for about 2 hours (however, I assume this is just at shallow depths). Anyone know anything about it? Apparently it is used occasionally in the movie industry.

Hi Bill,

This is the standard CIA, frogman, seals, stealth unit that folks often use in the movies. The LAR V oxygen rebreather. Very nice, very simple if used above 33' since it is a pure oxygen unit. Here's a link:

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/Zuurstofrebreathers/German/fotos_lar_v.htm

The Dräger LAR V sells for $8K+ to government agencies only.
$4K will buy you an OMG Castoro C-96, a better rebreather anyway.

The Historical Diving Society sells a video that contains three old OSS training films,
each about 10 minutes long in b&w. One covers the LARU O2 rebreather that the OSS adopted.

drbill:

yeah i think you are talking about the lar rebreather. comes in black only. the ones on the site have em in operating depths of less than 10m

Back
Top Bottom