What primary reel do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Salvo 400, its my second favorite primary reel and I got it because I needed one and I found it before my first choice(Larry Green/Ralph Hood sidewinder). My other options at time of purchase were the Dive Rite reels, in which the plastic the barrels are made from sucks mega balls.

The Salvos/Leviathons/LightMonkeys and of course the current Halcyons are built with tight tolerances, you can foul anything, but these things are a bit harder to screw up. The Larry Greens/Ralph Hoods are open and easy to unfoul if you do it, but they shine in how silky smooth they reel and they're my personal favorites.

I have had an early Halcyon implode on my while in the precarious position of nomounting an entrance in crazy high jacuzzi jet flow... I ended up throwing the handle at my buddy, it was his reel, and just tying in the barrel. Granted, the stroke monitor was probably going off like crazy, causing the self-destruct.

I have a Halcyon reel. It's one of the pieces of Halcyon equipment I've bought, but I looked at a number of reel before I bought it, and I liked this one. I liked the aluminum handle -- the weight and balance felt better than the Salvo Delrin one. I liked the stainless steel locking screw. I had heard stories that the nylon ones were easier to strip, and could also swell and be difficult to screw down. The design, which is very similar to the Salvo/LM reel, with tight tolerances, makes it difficult to jam (but not impossible!) I've had this reel for 4 years, and close to 125 cave dives, and I'm still very pleased with it.

I had heard stories that the nylon ones were easier to strip, and could also swell and be difficult to screw down.

FWIW, I've had my Salvo for several years now and the screw has never jammed(even after several days in the water) and its never stripped - even after the abuse I put on it. I'm not easy on any of my gear. I don't think those rumors hold any weight whatsoever.

That being said, the nylon screw on my Larry Green has swelled up on occassion, but I still like it better - its reeling action is much smoother than any other reel I've used.

Is there really any difference between the Halcyon reels and LM's? I have not seen either one in person, but they look just about the same in the pics.

Tension knob and handle are metal, thats about it, same design.

which one is metal?

Halcyon is AL. It's what I use for my primary. I have a diverite for my emergency reel right now, sucks already had to replace two parts and I don't even use it.

The Halcyon handle and tension knob are metal -- the handle is aluminum, and the tension knob is stainless. I just liked the feel and balance of the materials better in my hand. And I resist buying Halcyon because of the stereotype -- but sometimes, I just like their items better, and this is one of those times. The differences are subtle; if you got a great price break on the LM reel, I'd buy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom