Primary Light for Cavern Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. As many have stated it is probably best to ask the instructor, and as it turns out he responded here. I appreciate everyone’s guidance.

Good quality lights like Halcyon Scout or Heser Backup aren't old-school - they're proven. They are super reliable, simple, upgradable, and flood tolerant. I had a similar discussion in another thread, and it all comes down to your philosophy. At least one of my lights is Heser Backup II.

Yes, they are old school. They may be all that other stuff, too, but they are definitely old school.

I think using alkaline C cell-based lights as backups is an obsolete concept. But, I am not a very experienced cave diver, much less a cave instructor.

I'd really like to hear some thoughts on C cell lights versus rechargeable lithium-based lights as backups for cave use from some experienced cave instructors, like the ones that have already chimed in here.

I'm no longer cave diving but I still have my Halcyon Scouts. They're my normal lights on the liveaboard trips I'm doing these days The Focus is just too bright. I should probably sell it, but I might decide to head for the cenotes again some day, so I haven't.

I still have my Halcyon Scouts.
I had two of them. They produced a brown/dim light in a dark cave for me even with new batteries.

I had two of them. They produced a brown/dim light in a dark cave for me even with new batteries.
Which LED did you have? There was an upgrade.

Can't comment on Scout performance, but Heser produces bright white light. It won't light up the cave as BX2, but it respects on and off settings ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom