UW Light Dude vs Light Monkey Primary for Cave Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with the LX20+ for my first primary as the brightness/burn time is plenty, and I spent the rest of the money on cave trips.

My plan was/is to get an UWLD when I switch to CCR & DPV for the substantially longer required runtimes. The LX20 will be a great backup at that point.
Oh good to know! I’ll see if I can find one second hand near me or a shop that sells them!

The UWLD is absolutely worth the premium, vastly superior product with vastly superior service if you ever need it. Unfortunately the legendary service that LM used to provide is long gone. Since you're in Mass the UWLD also has a much better vest controller for heated vests which you'll appreciate up there as well as in cave country

I will say though that while I am very good friends with @Bobby and have made many posts on this board about how amazing his products are, I would question whether you really need one at this point in your diving career. A Dive Rite LX20+ is a fantastic light *I own three UWLD's, but the pair of LX20's probably have a higher dive count even though the UWLD's have a higher dive time since they're what I just "grab" when I'm doing short dives*. One of my LD40's is effectively integrated into my sidemount rig so that stays and the other is for doubles and I have to commit to wanting the cord which means the dive has to be long enough or need enough light to justify the cord. I really think the LX20+ is probably a better "now" investment in your diving until you get to the full cave level and are really committed.
Oh cool! That’s very good to know! Good customer service is pretty important to me. A lot of people have been talking about the LX20+ so I’ll definitely look into that too. At what point do you think a canister light would be worth it? I do a lot of diving (mostly wreck diving) but haven’t gotten far into cave diving. I want a good reliable light but I probably won’t get my full cave cert for another year or two.

Hey all!!

I have begun taking my first steps towards my cave certification and am trying to budget for the cavern/intro cave class. The only piece of gear I still need is a primary light and I'm torn about which to by. I have two options:

Option 1: My instructors shop sells UW Light dude primary's and I would get a 10% discount on them, however, they are very pricy. The total cost would be about $2038 with the discount. (He may throw in a backup light for free as well)

Option 2: My local dive shop has ordered some Light Monkey lights and will start to carry those. The cost for those is lower, probably around $1600.

Is UW light dude worth the extra cost or should I just go with light monkey? Also, does anyone know the beam angle of the Light Monkey lights and if the have overheat protection?

Thanks for the input!
I would never buy another expensive light without first diving with it and seeing what it looks like in the water. Since the shop you’re taking the class with sells those lights, maybe they can rent you something for your class. The best scenario would be to try both out during your class and then choose. There is definitely some subjectivity when it comes to beam color/character/focal point.

There’s a lot to be said for handheld lights these days, too. Nothing wrong with getting one to take your class, then eventually if you want a canister light, the handheld makes a very nice back up.

I am a relatively new cave diver and I went down this road when I did my intro class about two years ago. My research always led me to the UWLD lights as the best, with the LM and Dive Rite second tier, and BB and Orca as third tier. I scoured the internet for months for a deal on a light in one of the top two tiers and finally ended up buying a new Orca D630. I know it is not near the quality of the others, but I can buy 4-5 of them for the cost of the others. For me, my normal runtimes are in the 90 minute range and the Orca gives me enough juice to do two dives on the highest setting. Granted, the output is likely not the same through those 3 hours. I probably have over 70 hours underwater with the light at depths up to 150’ and I have never had an issue.

I’m not saying that the Orca is a better light, (I still lust for a Bobby light and will probably have one one day) but for me at the level I am at the Orca is a good fit for my dives and my wallet. YMMV

Any UWLD fans who -don't- like them for smaller caves? I have one (an LD40) that is my primary primary for non-cave dives. I love it and do recommend it. But, I've started taking a H Flare EXP on cave trips, I don't even bother bringing the LD with me.

I find that the beam, while great for open water and big environments, has too much spill (IMO) for communication and team tracking in smaller environments. Like bedding planes, e.g. It's just too flood-lighty. Yes it lights everything up but you can't really signal because it's just light everywhere with a lack of a discernible "point", and the amount of spill makes other teammate's lights get washed out so they can't signal super clearly either.

Would I buy the light again for my day-to-day ocean diving, absolutely. Would I buy that light for the caves I usually dive (MX)? No I wouldn't, hence buying the Halcyon for that use.

100% all points on this recommendation!
I would never buy another expensive light without first diving with it and seeing what it looks like in the water. Since the shop you’re taking the class with sells those lights, maybe they can rent you something for your class. The best scenario would be to try both out during your class and then choose. There is definitely some subjectivity when it comes to beam color/character/focal point.

There’s a lot to be said for handheld lights these days, too. Nothing wrong with getting one to take your class, then eventually if you want a canister light, the handheld makes a very nice back up.

Something to keep in mind in picking a light (particularly a hand held) is burn time. For cave I want a light that will burn at 100% for longer than my gas lasts. Using thirds for OC: if that's one two hour dive burn>3 hours. If one three hour dive burn >4.5 hours. If two two hour dives on one charge, that's minimum of >five hours at full tilt-that assumes I'm out for the day on one charge (non replaceable batteries). Back up lights are for when the primary fails, not for when I fail to properly budget for contingent gas use.

Oh cool! That’s very good to know! Good customer service is pretty important to me. A lot of people have been talking about the LX20+ so I’ll definitely look into that too. At what point do you think a canister light would be worth it? I do a lot of diving (mostly wreck diving) but haven’t gotten far into cave diving. I want a good reliable light but I probably won’t get my full cave cert for another year or two.
the point that you need the burn time, you don't want to worry about dropping it *for wreck diving and some cave diving*, want the really tiny light head, or you want heat. Or if you just want the best from the get go.

@San Diego Climber the LD-40 on low doesn't bother me in really tight stuff. In most of that you aren't trying to signal anyone but you can absolutely still see an emergency signal and then you're turning around.
Should also be noted that if it's washing your teammates light out then you are not using light power as a deciding factor for team orientation. Biggest light goes in the back not the front. The LD40 on low though is perfectly suitable with most of the other lights out there so being in front isn't an issue.

Good to know! Seems the consensus is UWLD is the best of the best. I have considered buying a second hand light in the meantime but I have had trouble finding people selling some for a reasonable price. Part of the issue is not seeing brands I’m familiar with being sold. I’ll keep looking in the meantime.
You could post a Wanted ad in Classifieds here on SB. Sometimes people have things they would part with but just haven't yet bothered to post a For Sale ad. Also check out The Cave Diver's Forum. Finding a good used light may be a long shot when preparing for an upcoming course, but they do come up for sale now and then, though they are usually quickly snagged.

Something to keep in mind in picking a light (particularly a hand held) is burn time. For cave I want a light that will burn at 100% for longer than my gas lasts. Using thirds for OC: if that's one two hour dive burn>3 hours. If one three hour dive burn >4.5 hours. If two two hour dives on one charge, that's minimum of >five hours at full tilt-that assumes I'm out for the day on one charge (non replaceable batteries). Back up lights are for when the primary fails, not for when I fail to properly budget for contingent gas use.
Here is another idea - dive with two primaries and two+ backups. Tech lights are becoming smaller and more powerful, and having an extra primary won't hurt. I am exploring the configuration because calling off a dive due a light failure means I am not enjoying my hard-earned vacation days.

Both are exceptional but a while back lm stayed pretty consistent and uwld took a big step forward. If money is not an issue, uwld for sure. I will say that there is one negative to the uwld and that is beam angle. I love My light but with particulate in the water it’s not always ideal due to back scatter. Also the wider beam angle can be a littler weird to signal with as compared to something like the halcyon lights.
For reference I have the newer uwld with the tighter beam angle. It’s better than on the old ld35 but still fairly backscattery. You definitely have to make sure it’s positioned well so it’s not annoying in silty conditions. But just to be clear, that is a very very minor complaint and the uwld is still the better light imo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom