What primary reel do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you have description of these SS screws, so that a woman could obtain them from Lowes in one visit without having to slay no more than four either teenage or toothless Lowes employees?

It's been a while and my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Start with a 1/2 inch long 5/16 diameter #8 thread. To be on the safe side bring the nylon screw in with you and see if they both fit in the same nut.

It's been a while and my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Start with a 1/2 inch long 5/16 diameter #8 thread. To be on the safe side bring the nylon screw in with you and see if they both fit in the same nut.

It doesn't have to be Lowes. I go to a local, non-chain hardware store and get great help for things like this.

I once had a nylon screw break off in a tightly closed position in a reel. I could not get the blasted thing out easily, but I finally did by using half the tools in my work area. I went to that local hardware store and someone helped me find a SS replacement the right size. When I tried to screw it in, it would not work. They looked at it carefully, and finally decided that I must have damaged the threads taking out the broken nylon screw. To cut to the chase, they finally retapped the reel so that a new SS screw would fit in. The whole process took over a half hour. Total charge = the price of one SS screw.

John, you're absolutely right. And I use my local hardware place for a lot of things, too, especially p valve parts... :D Lowes/Home Depot are just easy references for most.

Start with a 1/2 inch long 5/16 diameter #8 thread.

You mean a 5/16 #18 thread? I don't think they make a #8 thread in that size bolt. That particular number means # of threads per inch, and a #8 on a 1/2 inch bolt would only have 4 threads........

To be on the safe side bring the nylon screw in with you and see if they both fit in the same nut.

Good advice.

I'm referring to the number on the packaging. I remember in that size they had 6 & 8. The 6 was the wrong thread. 8 worked great. The only number I'm not certain of is the 5/16.

Edit - I found the wrapper in my tool box. Firefyter is correct. The numbers are 5/16 #18 1/2 inch long.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom