What primary reel do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrielsal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took Cavern/Intro to Cave a few months ago. I had been using a Manta reel, but it's big and bulky in my hand and I'm ready to try something else. I'm wondering what you use and what you like and dislike about it.
I'm thinking about buying a LM.

I started out with a Manta reel. Got tired or rats-nesting it and went with a Salvo 400. It's much harder to screw up ... although as I found out the first time I tried tying in at Devil's Ear, it's certainly possible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Halcyon w/stainless steel knurled cold water knob for locking the drum.

Started off with Dive Rite. Hated it.

I've got the Larry Green also. Bought it used from one of the forums. I can look at a reel and have it jamb, so far not a problem with the Larry Green (even in Devil's Ear :wink:)
Even with my small hands I can manage it well in a cave as well as shooting a lift bag.

I have also used the Light Monkey one . . . it is a quality product but a bit bulky for me.

Halcyon w/stainless steel knurled cold water knob for locking the drum.

I'm a pretty small guy with small hands (... all of the dive gloves that fit me are size S). I found the Halcyon, Salvo and other 400' reels like that were just too large for me to easily manage with small hands and short fingers. The DR Sidewinder is a bit wider (deeper, thicker ... not sure what word to use) and therefore it doesn't have as large of a circumference as the Halcyon-type reels. It seems to work for me, at least for now. However, I've just starting on this journey and I have A LOT left to learn.

Ditto . . . called it the evil reel . . . gave it to my tech/mix class buddy . . . he loves it :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom