What pony size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does one"accidentally" go into Deco in a non overhead environment? With the exception of spearfishing, or extremely high task loading dives( I've made those mistakes,not with Deco but air planning) , how are you not watching dive times or your computer closely enough to avoid deco?

How does one"accidentally" go into Deco in a non overhead environment? With the exception of spearfishing, or extremely high task loading dives( I've made those mistakes,not with Deco but air planning) , how are you not watching dive times or your computer closely enough to avoid deco?

The same diver who cannot watch his SPG probably has the same issue with his computer not to mention total lack of dive planning.

I'm not arrogant enough to claim I never make mistakes. Made one a month ago that put me in a bad spot, mis managed my air remaining my first time spearfishing, and very nearly surfaced OOA. It was dumb, and a piss poor mistake.

Like I said, I can see cirumstances in which you are heavily task loaded, and you push the NDL, and it throws you into deco. Is it smart? Nope. SHOULD it happen? Nope, but even the best of us make dumb mistakes.

How you can not look at a computer or bottom timer in a normal rec dive, blows my mind.

I'm not arrogant enough to claim I never make mistakes. Made one a month ago that put me in a bad spot, mis managed my air remaining my first time spearfishing, and very nearly surfaced OOA. It was dumb, and a piss poor mistake.

Like I said, I can see cirumstances in which you are heavily task loaded, and you push the NDL, and it throws you into deco. Is it smart? Nope. SHOULD it happen? Nope, but even the best of us make dumb mistakes.

How you can not look at a computer or bottom timer in a normal rec dive, blows my mind.

Two posts ago you wondered how someone could "accidentally" go into deco but now you admit that recently you almost went OOA. I think you answered your own question.

Two posts ago you wondered how someone could "accidentally" go into deco but now you admit that recently you almost went OOA. I think you answered your own question.

Accident or poor planning and lack of vigilance? In my opinion, there is no excuse short of emergency to run out of air, and no good excuse to go into unplanned deco. Are my expectations too high?

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you accidentally found yourself in deco. But I repeat myself.
Don't know if I can stop laughing about this one........Good One!!!

In my opinion, there is no excuse short of emergency to run out of air, and no good excuse to go into unplanned deco.

If it happens to you, it doesn't matter whether there is a 'good excuse' or not. It happens and has to be dealt with. I suppose everyone has to decide for him/herself how likely it is to occur, roughly, and what extent to plan and take precautions with that in mind.

No matter how you plan and what precautions you take, there is always the chance something could happen you're not prepared for. Even if someone stays on the boat, it could sink...

Richard.

If it happens to you, it doesn't matter whether there is a 'good excuse' or not. It happens and has to be dealt with. I suppose everyone has to decide for him/herself how likely it is to occur, roughly, and what extent to plan and take precautions with that in mind.

No matter how you plan and what precautions you take, there is always the chance something could happen you're not prepared for. Even if someone stays on the boat, it could sink...

Richard.

Sorry, I gave the out of an emergency, do you have another acceptable excuse? I can't really think of one, only irresponsibility. Go rationalize.

Good diving, Craig

Isn’t it basically a mandatory safety stop when the computer ticks into initial deco mode? I’ve made the decision in the past to stay down a couple extra couple minutes past NDL if I have plenty of GAS left. I will say this, I have never glanced down and discovered that I accidentally went into deco mode, and I was comfortable with the amount of gas left in my tank(s) for the minor change of plan.

Did you read or assume? I came up 300lbs short of my plan after shooting a particularly troubling fish late in the dive. Yes I made a mistake in not monitoring a spike inconsumption while struggling with a fish. Yes I could see bumping the edge of Deco while doing that if drug deep, just like i can see misjudging air consumption under heavy exertion at depth. In didn't say I was ooa, I completed a 5 minute ss and surfaced safely, with air. The point is, there are circumstances where I can forgive errors. A normal rec dive, with nothing to monitor but your gauges and your buoyancy? Errors shouldn't occur like that, and sure as hell not Deco where either your computer is displaying a time well in advance, or you have a linear timed plan

Apologies for phone typos

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom