What pony size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once went OOA on a tank at 100ft while solo diving a wreck. I was just beginning to use video and became fixated on that and missed a reg swap. Fortunately I was using independent doubles and made the swap as I sucked the tank dry. A complete failure to monitor gas on my part.

Sh-t happens. Diving isn't an uber cool contest and guilt trips regarding mistakes do not help others who might be heading down the same path. Straight forward discussions of what happened, and why, do.

If you are directing the “reading comprehension” insult at me, I wasn’t even referring to your post! I was merely responding to the “how dare you ever intensionally go into deco mode” after getting wet posts. If you were directing that insult at me…then you have a reading deficiency!!!

It was not aimed at you. My phone is not quoting correctly

So cocoajoe, despite all these guys hijacking your thread, any idea what size pony bottle you're going to get?

As for fitting in a rack, I've seen people mostly just lay them on the floor under their bench seat on a dive boat, or stick it somewhere out of the way until it's time to splash.

Side-slinging makes this much easier as you just unclip it and stow it somewhere. Having it strapped to your main tank is much more of a pain IMO. Having done both for a while, I much prefer slinging it.

Ok. Let me play the new diver card on this one please. Everyone has explained that only an idiot can go into accidental deco. A recreational dive is 130 ft. NDL is about 8 minutes on the tables I'm looking at. A 4 or 5 minute bottom and then a gradual cruise up the reefs to 50 feet to avoid deco obligation, then an ascent to the boat. But at the 125 foot mark, your buddy is in a fishnet or rope or something. You decide to help :angel2:. Takes a little while to sort things out. Maybe even a doff and don. Now you're past the 8 minutes, you buddy has been breathing in panic.

Without flaming, is this not accidental deco? You could say that at the time he hit 130 feet he should have had lot's of gas but as someone said earlier, he is now breathing really hard in panic in addition to a possible doff and don effort.

Or flame away. You can call me an idiot because I am fairly new and have lot's to learn.

Ok. Let me play the new diver card on this one please. Everyone has explained that only an idiot can go into accidental deco. A recreational dive is 130 ft. NDL is about 8 minutes on the tables I'm looking at. A 4 or 5 minute bottom and then a gradual cruise up the reefs to 50 feet to avoid deco obligation, then an ascent to the boat. But at the 125 foot mark, your buddy is in a fishnet or rope or something. You decide to help :angel2:. Takes a little while to sort things out. Maybe even a doff and don. Now you're past the 8 minutes, you buddy has been breathing in panic.

Without flaming, is this not accidental deco? You could say that at the time he hit 130 feet he should have had lot's of gas but as someone said earlier, he is now breathing really hard in panic in addition to a possible doff and don effort.

Or flame away. You can call me an idiot because I am fairly new and have lot's to learn.

You are correct, the are other factors such as entanglements that could trigger an accidental deco obligation, or OOG for that matter. A little far fetched, but possible.
I was referring to is just plain hitting deco without some other external trigger event.
Edit: If you planning on spearing fish deep or some other activity that has a high risk of this, then by all means use a suitable large redundant gas supply.

When someone rights "only an idiot..." Or "you must be an idiot if...." The rest should be taken with a grain of salt. There is usually some useful information but the person is likely sensationalizing.

This is not accidental deco, it is unplanned deco, and a pony is not the answer. I don't know what the answer to someone getting trapped underwater is.

If form follows function...... Identifying why you need or want a pony, and its intended usage and by whom is going to dictate the size and its mounting. In carefull examination of that methodology, thoughts turn to more straight forward solutions. More training, H valves, doubles with isolator, deco training. It is really a progression of diving skill and comfort that allows for higher dive education and understanding, which leads us to an acceptance of the limitations of gear, and our acceptance of the associated risks.
Eric

You are right, things like this can happen. It is a very good reason to plan for having plenty of gas and a redundant air source on a dive to these depths. Any little problem could easily put you into deco and low on gas at the same time. I think an entry level tech/deco course would be good experience to have if you do these types of dives much!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom