what kind of law would you write?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm brainstorming for ideas for bills for "student congress" for my debate class. If you were a legislator, what kind of law would you write?

would you:
-ban the use of cell phones while driving?
-change the voting age to whenever the person has to pay income tax (taxation without representation prompted this thought) ?
-give everyone tax breaks?

What kind of law would you pass, or would like to see passed, or would hate to see passed, or whatever? I'm looking for something I can take and play around with to write a really good bill, and I know that the one thing everyone has is an opinion.

I would pass a law that for every new law, you have to take one off the books.

Think about it....every year we have more and more regulation and less personal

freedom. This is no longer a free country.

Same deal with the tax code...if the average person cannot figure it out...then it is

wrong.

And...the impact of the laws is less and less. I don't really care about the laws

much any more...it's just one more nusance, they have demeaned themselves.

Let's clearly mark those no parking zones, for a start.

In terms of generating a debate, a "plain language" law might be a good one. the idea is that any law that cannot be understood by a person of average intelligence, with a high school education is invalid. This would invalidate a large part if the Internal revenue code for example.

Maybe outlaw taxes altogether, so the gov need to support itself with lotteries and such. OK, let the politicians put in their own money if they want to spend more.

Jcsgt:
Let's clearly mark those no parking zones, for a start.

thank you....you read my mind!

Okay, let's standardized laws from state to state. Now I know there are reasons for certain laws in certain areas, but for the most part there's no reason we can't all get along.

Can I make a "free right" in Hawaii, for example? Do I need mud flaps to drive in Texas?

free right? You mean I can't go right on red?

It's okay...no cops around. They only do the easy cash grabs.

catherine96821:
free right? You mean I can't go right on red?

It's okay...no cops around. They only do the easy cash grabs.
Damn cops, anyway! :wink:

I would write a law that states that all laws that are written must only have one subject. No more of this crap of attaching non-sensical or "pork" riders to bills that need to be passed. This also has the added feature of making the line-item veto obsolete.

1) no read english? no vote.
2) no speak english? no vote.
3) undocumented/temporary guest worker? no vote.
4) a guest of this country? No complain, otherwise go home :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom