what kind of law would you write?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey Green...I want to trade those guys for some rejects we have.

lets work a trade.

Certainly on board with the need to remove old laws for every new law passed.

Every piece of legislation would need to have a Constitutional justification section written in where the lawmakers would have to show they have analyzed the Constitutionality of what they’re proposing. Similar to an environmental impact study for projects, this would be a Constitutional Impact Study for legislation and regulation.

Fair Tax or some form of consumption tax to replace income tax as it’s stupid to tax people for producing and not tax them for consuming – and then we complain about living in an out of control consumer society with poor productivity. Duh!!

Remove all governmental entity exemptions from laws that citizens must comply with. If the law or regulation is good enough for citizens to comply with it should be good enough for governmental entities to live with.

Loser pays tort reform.

Don't get me started.

Loser pays tort reform.

oh yea...like Europe.

Jahjah -- I used to write laws for a living (I was a staff attorney for our state House of Representatives) and I'll tell you, there is a true art to writing a good statute.

You MUST truly understand grammar to write a good statute -- because you want it to mean exactly what you want it to mean -- no more, no less.

As far as "what law would I write" -- since you are doing this for a class, write one that matters to you. I'm going to assume you are in high school (your stated age is 17) so write something that affects you.

For example:

1. Driving -- Should "children" (that is, under 18) be allowed to own a car -- be allowed to drive without an "adult" in the car -- be allowed to drive at all

2. Drinking -- Should "children" be permitted to drink alcohol under any circumstances -- if yes, when, if no, why not? And, if no, what do you do about religious services and private households?

3. Hunting -- Should "children" be permitted to shoot a gun? If so, under what conditions?

4. Running for office -- Should someone under the age of 18 be permitted to run for office?

You should be able to write some good proposed legislation and these (and like) topics should actually matter to you. At least, when I was your age, I think they would have mattered to me!

I agree with Peter. Laws should be written clearly for all to understand. Unfortunately, most aren't, which results in a massive amount of case law to determine what the law REALLY meant or to expand on the definition.

Jcsgt:
I agree with Peter. Laws should be written clearly for all to understand. Unfortunately, most aren't, which results in a massive amount of case law to determine what the law REALLY meant or to expand on the definition.

That's because the laws are written by lawyers. The intent is to obfuscate so some pinhead can "interpret" the law, then another pinhead can "get his/her client off" because they technically did not break the law. Then they'll craft another law to close the loophole. The cycle then repeats.

Mexicans get a bad rap.

I love that culture...till we mess them up.

when I see them struggling to make change and speak English in McDonalds...I wonder how many Americans would do that.

catherine96821:
Mexicans get a bad rap.

I love that culture...till we mess them up.

when I see them struggling to make change and speak English in McDonalds...I wonder how many Americans would do that.

Catherine,

Regretably too many Americans struggle to make change and speak English; at McDonalds and lots of other places. They also struggle to write a complete, grammatically correct sentence because THY R 2 US2 TXT MSGS

Oh the three suggested I like the cell phone law the best; drives (pun?) me nuts when someone is talking and driving really slow.
I'd also suggest environmental laws (being that you're a diver), specifically expanding the national park service to other marine locations, mandating better water quality standards or even stricter fishing regulations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom