what kind of law would you write?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissassm:
I wasn't aware that I was "imposing my will"
I was responding to a thread on a message board.

I'm sorry that you cannot think a bit more globally, and seem to believe that only laws that directly affect you warrant any thought or concern.

Some governments, including my own, do feel it is a concern for them, and have anti-extradition laws and treaties for accused persons who may have the death penalty imposed as a sentence.

And I reiterate that I was simply responding to a question posed: "what kind of law would you write"

Walter is correct...if he (or any other American) had posted a law that would force Canada to conform to US firearms laws, you (or some other Canadian) would get upset...and rightfully so.

If Canada does not want a death penalty, that is their right. If some US states want to have it, that is THEIR right. It has nothing to do with "thinking globally" as many other countries have capital punishment...and WITHOUT nearly as much due process.

Now, back to our normally scheduled thread...

I was going to suggest term limits on congress and the senate but I see someone has beaten me to it. I also feel they should drop the free medical for life once they are elected out of office. I don't have a problem with it while they are serving there term but once elected out it stops.

melissassm:
I wasn't aware that I was "imposing my will"
Any time you are discussing "laws" what your are discussing is the imposition of will. If you are discussing laws you support or propose, you are supporting or proposing the imposition of your will on others. That's what laws are, pure and simple. They must ultimately be enforced by brute force.
And that is why... politics ain't tiddlywinks.
Rick

ams511:
In this system the poor and misers pay little or no tax. I still need more convincing on why misers should be let off the hook.
Very good observation and one with a counterintuitive (at first blush answer) as ultimately misers indirectly contribute more to taxes than it appears.

Most misers don’t just shove cash in their mattress and they don’t invest in risky investments, so their money usually winds up in very secure bank and savings accounts. These accounts are used primarily for safe (according to the FDIC) consumer or small business investments such as home or auto loans – which are large, taxed purchases. They provide much of the investment capital needed to keep the economy running and the money they save may actually be taxed multiple times as the bank keeps loaning it out to multiple borrowers for purchases.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom