What Kind of Gear Do You Keep Duplicates/Extras Of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive locally for the most part so a lot of this lives in my SUV.

Spare reg set
Various hoses
Always have spare fins in the car
Backup mask
Extra tanks
Extra weights
Batteries for both computers/transmitters
Spare hood

I have an extensive save a dive kit. I dive dry.
Spare hood? Did you ever have a hood failure?

Spare hood? Did you ever have a hood failure?
No but I had it stolen from an OH quarry once where my gear was on a picnic table between dives. They took my large and left their XL. Same exact hood. Stinkers!

No but I had it stolen from an OH quarry once where my gear was on a picnic table between dives. They took my large and left their XL. Same exact hood. Stinkers!

Mix up not necessarily "theft"?

If I am driving, I have back up of almost everything, 2 mask, 2 dsmb, 2 spool, 2 computer, spare SPG/transmitter with adequate hose attached, extra reg set, 3 cutting tool, 3 light, 2 pair of fins, either additional wetsuit or rash guard and board shorts depending on the weather. Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

If traveling abroad by air that’s different case.

Good idea. It is not at all uncommon for divers to forget their hood or gloves. In the PNW, these are essential bits of gear. Having a spare for yourself OR your buddies is a good backup.
Never thought of having one for buddies, that’s actually a good idea

I do much of my diving off boats in SE Florida and often dive solo. I dive with 2 AI computers/1 transmitter, a SPG , one mask, one pair of fins, 2 cutting devices, one flashlight, and a pony. I often take 2 wetsuits in the car, decide which to use when I get recent local information at the boat. I always have my 5/3 hooded vest for flexibility and take gloves. everything fits in a mesh backpack that is easy to stow on the boat.

Buddies?

Had the same issue with gloves they took my 5mm and left some worn out 3mm, luckily I found the guy before he jumped :)

I am a "twice a year recreational diver" and we bring spare fin straps and a spare mask. Everything else can be rented if it comes to that. And the straps will work on my fins but are not designed to work with my fins. But they would work.

What kind of equipment do you keep extra of? Mask, fins, boots, exposure suits, etc.? With the shortages of rubber/neoprene for wetsuits and other shipping related issues, I was curious to see what would be considered the "most important" to double up on. My wetsuit is already showing some rough wear and tear after 20 dives and I've already grabbed Aquaseal...
Most gear I have has a backup. My two kids also dive, though I usually only take one of them with me at a time. So at a minimum there’s an entire backup of everything.

But aside from three full sets, there are at least 6 masks, 6 fins, 5 computers, three SPGs, and tons of random pieces.
To add to the above question, what kind of backup equipment would you bring with you to a dive site?
Depends on the dive site. Mostly, the dive site is wherever my boat is taking us, so space is limited somewhat. My save a dive kit is pretty complete. I have o-rings for all but the regulator internals, plus the tools to swap components as needed. I usually bring three complete regulators even if not all three are diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom