What Kind of Gear Do You Keep Duplicates/Extras Of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of equipment do you keep extra of? Mask, fins, boots, exposure suits, etc.? With the shortages of rubber/neoprene for wetsuits and other shipping related issues, I was curious to see what would be considered the "most important" to double up on. My wetsuit is already showing some rough wear and tear after 20 dives and I've already grabbed Aquaseal...

To add to the above question, what kind of backup equipment would you bring with you to a dive site?
If it’s remote, almost everything has one or more backups. If not remote, only stuff that is hard to find or stuff that I bring in the save a dive kit

What kind of equipment do you keep extra of? Mask, fins, boots, exposure suits, etc.? With the shortages of rubber/neoprene for wetsuits and other shipping related issues, I was curious to see what would be considered the "most important" to double up on. My wetsuit is already showing some rough wear and tear after 20 dives and I've already grabbed Aquaseal...

To add to the above question, what kind of backup equipment would you bring with you to a dive site?
As an instructor, I had doubles and triples of everything so that my income wouldn't be impacted by failures. The gear was just accumulated as technology advanced rather than being purchased for the purpose of having two or three. Most recently, I used a Shearwater Perdix with a Petrel in reserve and a Dive Rite Nitek 3 to back up the Petrel. My first horseshoe-shaped Halcyon wing for twin 104s backed up the new Halcyon donut shape, and my Seatec wing for AL80s backed up my Dive Rite wing which backed up my Halcyon donut for twin AL80s. My old drysuit backed up my new drysuit, and I would bring a wetsuit to back up my drysuits and a dual bladder wing for the wetsuit in case the drysuits had problems.

For international travel, I would select destinations that had rentals of gear that I or my students might need.

Sometimes, it wasn't always the gear that failed you. Lots of blowouts in North Carolina found me bringing a surfboard to back up a dive trip.

I'm glad I had my spare mask with me (was in my dive pocket) the other day.
I did a back roll off the boat with my right palm against my mask but as I landed in the water the mask came off.
Strong surface current pulled it away and downwards.

I don't keep duplicates of anything much. Let me see
4 Regulators
2 Full Face mask Ocean Reef Neptune III with light and comms
2 BCD (I don't wear them except in a pool)
3 Dive knife (don't ask)
2 Line Cutter (one metal the other ceramic)
4 or 5 Fins, I think
4 Camera lights
3 Dive lights
2 Dive computers one console and one wrist
2 Drysuits One for skinny me and one for the new me
4 mask (not counting the FFM)
2 complete sets of weights consisting of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pound weights, 2 clip on 2 lb weights, and 1.5 lb an 2 lb ankle weights.
But only 1 wife.

Back
Top Bottom