What Kind of Gear Do You Keep Duplicates/Extras Of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I am driving for a trip or teaching, I have every piece in duplicate.

Rebreathers

What kind of equipment do you keep extra of? Mask, fins, boots, exposure suits, etc.?

The real question is "what kind of equipment I DON'T have extra of"! I have 2 - 4 of everything at least.

For solo diving I basically have redundant everything (extra mask in my BCD pocket, 2 cutting tools, 2 computers, pony tank & reg).

In general, over time I've picked up extra sets of fins (travel fins, and regular size fins that are stiffer than the fins I started with), and an extra reg set. I picked up my spare computer even before I started solo diving as a just-in-case backup.

Relevant to this post and your other post about equipment brands, I'll say that in my opinion if you happen to need to make a decision on whether to spend $$$ on expensive or backup gear or spend it going diving, I'd choose more diving.
Hmm... Thought solo was a nono :p

I'd imagine you dive with a backup air source as well. Pony bottle?

Hmm... Thought solo was a nono :p

I'd imagine you dive with a backup air source as well. Pony bottle?
No longer (for a while now) a no-no. Several dive agencies issue certs (SDI Solo; PADI Self Reliant, etc.). Yes, I use my pony tank set-up when diving solo, and increasingly when diving with my photographer buddy (in case he's taking 50 photos of a fish when my hose bursts, etc.).

I think I have back ups to my back ups now. What I bring with me as spares depends on weather I'm diving locally or traveling.

No longer (for a while now) a no-no. Several dive agencies issue certs (SDI Solo; PADI Self Reliant, etc.). Yes, I use my pony tank set-up when diving solo, and increasingly when diving with my photographer buddy (in case he's taking 50 photos of a fish when my hose bursts, etc.).
I thought the point of SDI Solo was to teach you how to cover your own bases. I didn't think it literally meant Solo.

I thought the point of SDI Solo was to teach you how to cover your own bases. I didn't think it literally meant Solo.
No, from SDI: ”Solo diving, once considered technical diving and discouraged by most certification agencies, is now seen by many experienced divers and some certification agencies as an acceptable practice for those divers suitably trained and experienced."

What kind of equipment do you keep extra of? Mask, fins, boots, exposure suits, etc.?

I can only respond as a diver since 1958.

Would you like to help me dig a path through my basement?

To add to the above question, what kind of backup equipment would you bring with you to a dive site?

Both VISA and MC.
Hundreds.
I travel light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom