What is your personal depth that CESA is option #1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clingy type newbie like yours

You are assuming that because people dive in a team, they are "clingy type newbie"? During the last four years, about 80% of my buddies were at least intro to cave or normoxic trimix certified (or both, or higher, or both and higher). None of them would accept anything like disappear.

Anyway, the example that you described makes sense; it's a human error and could happen, touchée... and there are not many choices in similar cases

- depth: Agreed.
- what gas I use: Not required, better to show current cylinder pressure.

I believe it makes sense in multigas dives; even if you should know when to switch, you never know when the accident happens, and having a backup that reminds you something does not hurt.

EDIT: "when the accident happens" -> read it like this: if you have an accident, you may forget to switch at the right depth, here is when a backup is useful

- time to surface: Not required, you should be diving to a plan.

Like above, it's just a backup, and it does not hurt to have it. Besides, although I agree with you that diving to a plan is the best option, what does make you believe that everyone agrees with this way fo diving? People like to do different things, and as long as they are safe, where is the problem?

I believe it makes sense in multigas dives; even if you should know when to switch, you never know when the accident happens, and having a backup that reminds you something does not hurt.

Like above, it's just a backup, and it does not hurt to have it. Besides, although I agree with you that diving to a plan is the best option, what does make you believe that everyone agrees with this way fo diving? People like to do different things, and as long as they are safe, where is the problem?
You are a DIR practitioner, right?

Probably 10 to 15 metres, but have never had to consider it (except perhaps once at 6 metres) in 4,300+ dives. That time I went up under my own air but with a buddy very close, reg failure.

YES!

With Teric, I can see everything I need to know in one glance, no more fumbling with SPG, pressing DC buttons to get the right display.

I can see those below in a glance:
- depth
- tank pressure
- temperature
- NDL
- dive time
- what gas I use
- time to surface
- gas time remaining

View attachment 644284
I've had my Teric coming up on two years. My diving is mostly no stop with occasional light back gas deco.

I replaced TTS on the right of the 2nd row with T1 pressure, as TTS was not useful to me. I use all 3 positions in the 3rd row but don't really need all the information. Easily, the best piece of information is SurfGF, I use it very frequently to time my safety stop or deco stop, I have the combo GTR/SAC. I don't use the GTR except out of curiosity. I occasionally look at the SAC when I am exerting myself, just to see how much it is elevated over my baseline, not necessary. I have rotated a few things in the 3rd position. I had GF99 for a while, was not useful to me. I had max depth and currently have temp, neither one is really needed, but occasionally interesting.

I would imagine more important information could be displayed for technical diving. It is nice to have all of the choices, all 35 of them :)

- tank pressure: Agreed
- temperature: Not required, not important.
- NDL: Agreed
- dive time: Agreed
- what gas I use: Not required, better to show current cylinder pressure.
- time to surface: Not required, you should be diving to a plan.
- gas time remaining: Not required, this is nonessential, and potentially misleading as your consumption can increase during an incident.

Teric provides space to display all those data in single screen without pressing any button. So, why not show them?

The display is so bright & colorful, I can clearly see everything. Unlike my D4 LCD, where sometime I have to press backlight button, which could be difficult with thick gloves.

Temperature is there just for the record, how cold the thermocline was and for future what wetsuit thickness I should wear in the next dive at the same condition. Got the space on the display, so why not?

The gas I use is there by default. The manual even says that I can change it on the fly. When I do liveaboard diving of 4-5 dives/day with Nitrox at different oxygen level and sometimes air for deeper dive, it’s good to see it for confirmation.

I only use a single cylinder and its tank pressure is already shown on T1. So, no need to repeat displaying the current cylinder pressure.

TTS & GTR are good backup data to remind me of how long it would take to ascend safely with the remaining gas I have. I want to make sure GTR > TTS to avoid OOA. It’s a good way to monitor my SAC too.

After my last OOA accident that I had to CESA from 10 foot depth after clearing my D4 DECO obligation, I don’t want to repeat such situation.

DIR trained?

GUE trained

"what does make you believe that everyone agrees with this way of diving"
What is the other way?

In France, for instance, they consider deco dives as part of the recreational realm. Although the training received has a big impact on procedures, there is a tendency to avoid a specific plan for recreational dives (except for the minimum gas, which is always taken into account) and to follow the computer. In other words, you do your dive, and you constantly check your gas reserve to be sure you don't end up OOA, and then you do your deco depending on what the computer says.

This is a completely different approach from GUE. As far as I know, with UTD, it works differently, while I don't know anything about ISE.

Yes Marie13 I am assuming no gas redundancy. However there is a correlation with my question and redundancy (If you get my drift).

I don’t ever do a dive with no gas redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom