What is your personal depth that CESA is option #1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see any option to change D4 setting. Why don't you RTFM and tell me. If you don't know what you are talking about, just zip it!
Gradiant Factors are relevant to the Buhlmann ZHL algorithm, not RGBM which is used by Suunto. However you can still set your personal parameters between -2 and +2 depending on the level of conservancy you want to achieve.

Reactions: Dan
How do I change the GF settings in SUUNTO D4?
Hi Dan

Personal settings for the D4 are on pp 44-46 of the user's manual. P0 and 50% RGBM are the most liberal settings. P0 and 100% RGBM are the default settings. I have no idea how much reducing the RGBM changes the NDLs, may help most with repetitive dives. If you try it, let us all know how it works.

The D5, Eon Core and Eon Steel run different RGBM algorithm versions, Fused RGBM or Fused RGBM 2. These computers can be set more liberally, generally equivalent to a GF high of about 95 or DSAT. 0 is the default setting, -2 is most liberal, +2 is most conservative.

Am I the only fool who believes that I should stay closer to my buddy than to the surface?

If I cannot see my buddy, I start an emergency procedure - that is, I abort the dive.
Otherwise, my buddy is always closer than the surface, and I can ask him/her gas.

I cannot imagine any single scenario in which a CESA would be a real thing...

Hi Dan

Personal settings for the D4 are on pp 44-46 of the user's manual. P0 and 50% RGBM are the most liberal settings. P0 and 100% RGBM are the default settings. I have no idea how much reducing the RGBM changes the NDLs, may help most with repetitive dives. If you try it, let us all know how it works.

The D5, Eon Core and Eon Steel run different RGBM algorithm versions, Fused RGBM or Fused RGBM 2. These computers can be set more liberally, generally equivalent to a GF high of about 95 or DSAT. 0 is the default setting, -2 is most liberal, +2 is most conservative.

There is a Bühlmann upgrade available for the Eon Steel, you need to send it in to Suunto to have it done, which I did, and mine now has both options. I've heard there might be an upgraded Eon Steel Black available soon that will come with both Bühlmann and Fused RGBM 2.

Hi Dan

Gradiant Factors are relevant to the Buhlmann ZHL algorithm, not RGBM which is used by Suunto. However you can still set your personal parameters between -2 and +2 depending on the level of conservancy you want to achieve.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I found a dive option setting RGBM of 100% or 50% in my D4. I have never bother and thought much about it before until I got the Teric and noticed how much conservative that RGBM 100% is on my D4. I changed it to 50% and we'll see how it compares with my Teric's Bhulmann ZHL 16C+GF Conservative Medium 40/85 on my next dive trip (Maldives March 5-30).

Am I the only fool who believes that I should stay closer to my buddy than to the surface?

If I cannot see my buddy, I start an emergency procedure - that is, I abort the dive.
Otherwise, my buddy is always closer than the surface, and I can ask him/her gas.

I cannot imagine any single scenario in which a CESA would be a real thing...

During dive briefing we are told to look around for a minute for my dive buddy, before thumbing the dive. That is one reason I get the spare air. I have at least one minute to do that before doing the CESA.

After 16 years of diving, logging 940 dives, I got many type of "dive buddy", from the clingy type newbie like yours to the independent one who would disappear without notice. I never went to CESA until one day my dive buddy & I got mesmerized by schooling of hammerheads in Banda Sea, that lured us down too deep and went to 6 minute DECO on my D4 and 2 minute DECO on his. He was able to clear his DECO & safety stop with may be 100 psi left on his tank. I got to clear my DECO + 1 minute of safety stop until I get OOA and had to do CESA from 10 feet depth.

Hi @Dan

I'm sure you've come to realize that there is no good reason to ever run out of gas.

YES!

With Teric, I can see everything I need to know in one glance, no more fumbling with SPG, pressing DC buttons to get the right display.

I can see those below in a glance:
- depth
- tank pressure
- temperature
- NDL
- dive time
- what gas I use
- time to surface
- gas time remaining

C5CA8D4E-78E2-4A89-AF34-92066EB47ECA.jpeg

YES!

With Teric, I can see everything I need to know in one glance, no more fumbling with SPG, pressing DC buttons to get the right display.

I can see those below in a glance:
- depth
- tank pressure
- temperature
- NDL
- dive time
- what gas I use
- time to surface
- gas time remaining

View attachment 644284

- depth: Agreed.
- tank pressure: Agreed
- temperature: Not required, not important.
- NDL: Agreed
- dive time: Agreed
- what gas I use: Not required, better to show current cylinder pressure.
- time to surface: Not required, you should be diving to a plan.
- gas time remaining: Not required, this is nonessential, and potentially misleading as your consumption can increase during an incident.

- depth: Agreed.
- tank pressure: Agreed
- temperature: Not required, not important.
- NDL: Agreed
- dive time: Agreed
- what gas I use: Not required, better to show current cylinder pressure.
- time to surface: Not required, you should be diving to a plan.
- gas time remaining: Not required, this is nonessential, and potentially misleading as your consumption can increase during an incident.
Any cheap computer, new or old, would have done all the 'agreed' except tank pressure. And if it is too much of a task loading just to glance a spg then.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom