What is your "must do" post-diving activity on the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading to Kona in a couple weeks to dive Hawai'i for the first time, but I don't have anything on the schedule for post-diving activities beyond the usual relax and eat! I'm going to head up to Mauna Kea the day before I start diving since that'll be off limits after I've started my nitrogen binge, due to altitude. Other than that, I have no plans since this was a real short notice trip.

What else is super cool to do within reasonable afternoon driving distance of Kona for a solo traveler, that excludes significant altitude changes? I welcome any and all suggestions for things you've enjoyed after you've dried off for the day. Bonus points for cultural and at-your-own-pace activities since I'm not much of a tour group person. Thank you in advance!

There is a really nice hike down to the black sand beaches in the Pololū Valley on the north shore. Just be sure to take the coastal road (270) instead of the road up the hill (250) so you don't get too much altitude.

You can stop in and say high to the nice people at Kohala Divers in Kawaihae on your way. I would highly recommend diving with them if you get a chance since they go to some nice sites that are less crowded than down by Kona.

How long is your trip? Where are you staying?

I was there last May and had to be a surface dweller doing family things instead of diving every day...
ATV tour on southern point was a blast.
Seeing the volcano/lava at night is worth the drive
Sightseeing in the slow life that is the big island, that's what I'm about

How long is your trip? Where are you staying?

I'll be there 9 days but only 5 and a half allocated for 'me time'. I have prior-to-diving commitments which are the original reason for this trip, but I'll turn any trip to a warm water coastline into a diving trip if I can!

I'm staying in a condo on the coast just a couple miles south of Kona proper.

Thank you for your suggestions! They all sound great. Do they do the ATV tours in the afternoon? All my diving is in the morning so I have to work around that, but I might try to talk them into switching me to an afternoon charter for a day if there are morning-only activities that are worth it.

The ATV tour really is an all day thing. It's a 2 hour drive from Kona and then a 5 hour tour. The ones closer to the middle are often through old farm lands and pig poo muddled dirt, or so I've been told by other operators.

Well worth your time (and free)!

Kona’s secret garden: the Makaʻeo Walking Path

"The garden itself is maintained by the local community and features a wide variety of plants – from natives to unique succulents."
1687919079863.png

1687919241274.png

A trip down to Volcano National Park is well worth a day trip if you can squeeze it in. It's a bit of a long day though.

Depending on the level of volcanic activity, you might be able to hike up the lava flows near Chain of Craters Road. I did it at night on my first trip to Hawai'i and it was one of the most epic things I've ever seen.

On the second trip, you couldn't get close to the active flows so I had to splurge on a helicopter tour of the volcano for the kids, which was fun but did not compare to being up close.

If snorkeling counts as a "post dive" activity, I suggest going out at Kealakekua Bay, where it's common to swim with wild dolphins. Quite an experience.

You may be able to snorkel with mantas in front of the Sheraton in the evening .... not sure if that's still happening these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom