What is your "must do" post-diving activity on the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading to Kona in a couple weeks to dive Hawai'i for the first time, but I don't have anything on the schedule for post-diving activities beyond the usual relax and eat! I'm going to head up to Mauna Kea the day before I start diving since that'll be off limits after I've started my nitrogen binge, due to altitude. Other than that, I have no plans since this was a real short notice trip.

What else is super cool to do within reasonable afternoon driving distance of Kona for a solo traveler, that excludes significant altitude changes? I welcome any and all suggestions for things you've enjoyed after you've dried off for the day. Bonus points for cultural and at-your-own-pace activities since I'm not much of a tour group person. Thank you in advance!
The best malasada(s) on the island (maybe all of Hawaii). Tex's drive-in TEX Drive In

Very much worth the trip!!

The best malasada(s) on the island (maybe all of Hawaii). Tex's drive-in TEX Drive In

Very much worth the trip!!
If you're limited to the Kona side due to nitrogen loading (the saddle road to Hilo goes up to 6700 ft), there are also very good malasadas from a food truck at the turn off to Puako north of Kona on the way to the Kohala coast. Good shore diving in Puako, too.

Edited to add: I see now that Tex's is along the north coast, but even driving Highway 19 through Waimea is close to 3000 ft altitude.

There is a really nice hike down to the black sand beaches in the Pololū Valley on the north shore. Just be sure to take the coastal road (270) instead of the road up the hill (250) so you don't get too much altitude.

You can stop in and say high to the nice people at Kohala Divers in Kawaihae on your way. I would highly recommend diving with them if you get a chance since they go to some nice sites that are less crowded than down by Kona.
And then eat at Kohala Burger & Taco (KBT) after diving. Amazing burgers.

We did the coffee tour/tasting at Sunshower Farms. Yum! Nice people and a beautiful propertyl

EDIT: Never mind. They're sold out of coffee for 2023 so aren't doing any tours. :(

Depending on your nitrogen loading (probably best on a non dive day), you can go up to Mauna Kea for a star tour.

This was at an observatory about halfway up the mountain -- my kids were young and going to the summit was not recommended.

It was very interesting, although the astronomer who gave the tour got a little wacky when he started talking about his UFO experiences in the military.

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful suggestions. My eyes have been opened to several opportunities and I think I'll have more than enough to keep me busy now. I really appreciate everyone's replies. I usually write a trip report so look for my reviews of the places I managed to get to in a few weeks. :D

We did the coffee tour/tasting at Sunshower Farms. Yum! Nice people and a beautiful propertyl

EDIT: Never mind. They're sold out of coffee for 2023 so aren't doing any tours. :(
Ka'u Coffee Mill in Pahala is a great alternative. Fantastic coffee and they give tours throughout the day. Best bet is to stop en route back to the Kona side after visiting HVNP.

I'm heading to Kona in a couple weeks to dive Hawai'i for the first time, but I don't have anything on the schedule for post-diving activities beyond the usual relax and eat! I'm going to head up to Mauna Kea the day before I start diving since that'll be off limits after I've started my nitrogen binge, due to altitude. Other than that, I have no plans since this was a real short notice trip.

What else is super cool to do within reasonable afternoon driving distance of Kona for a solo traveler, that excludes significant altitude changes? I welcome any and all suggestions for things you've enjoyed after you've dried off for the day. Bonus points for cultural and at-your-own-pace activities since I'm not much of a tour group person. Thank you in advance!
Pre dive- Kona coffee
Post dive- rum and coke at sunset.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom