What is your best anti-fog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Renthal is correct, I think. A lot of fogging is due to surface film on the inside glass. I was plagued by incessant fogging on a trip to Jamaica a long time ago. I eventually guessed what the problem was, and scoured the glass with powder-fine coral sand: problem solved. Now, I use a mildly abrasive bathroom cleanser to clean the lens several times each year, and before every trip. Thorough cleaning by itself reduces fogging enormously. I would only use an abrasive on glass.
Almost any commercial solution, or baby shampoo, works fine as a defogger on really clean lenses. All of these substances, including spit and the water we dive in, will leave a thin but persistent residue that should be scrubbed off, especially if the mask has been drying out in a closet for a few weeks. For a defogger, I use SeaGold, Instructors Choice, etc. Spit is ok, but kind of disgusting and crude, like talking loudly on a cell phone in a restaurant or urinating in public.

Spit and/or Sea Drops work for me. If the mask still fogs, it probably needs to be cleaned with some mild toothpaste or something similar before adding the defog.

MikeSSS:
I have found that simply washing the face with baby shampoo before diving really helps prevent the face's oils from causing the mask to fog.

But, I'm still looking for the "best" antifog. I'm not even sure what is in my bag right now. 500 PSI has worked well in the past.

I would like to be able to use plastic reading glasses inside the mask and have them remain clear. So far they fog like crazy. Any ideas here?

What anti fog do you like the best?

PS, a friend got a hydro optix mask, we think it has a plastic lens and he never could find any way to keep it clear. It fogged like crazy, he just could not use it. Is there anything that works on these plastic lenses?

I have used most of them. All seem to work on a CLEAN mask.
May I suggest that if you need readers then try www.prescriptiondivemasks.com
I tried the little plastic stick on things and they didn't work at all. I have sent all my masks to this place and it is well worth the money.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this product yet: Toothpaste! i usually just use spit or the Catherine Action. But for those of you who must put something in your mask, toothpaste does wonders.

Cheers,

JE

I use spit. I've been using that for 15 years. Any of the other stuff I use makes my eyes itch or burn. Even toothpaste.

Gotta agree with earlier posters, I've lately found my tongue to work great.

I posted to a thread here once how I had "defective spit" that wouldn't work to defog, and someone suggested direct licking instead of spitting. I've been doing it for a month now and it works great. Another advantage is that you can do it while underwater.

Spit every last time. Works better than any chemical I've borrowed.

My spit doesn't seem to work either but I've never tried licking. I like Sea Drops for salt water and 500psi for fresh.

the trick with spit (if you spit) is to get enough all over the mask, and spread it
well. i like to do this at least 20 minutes prior to dive time.

then rinse JUST ONCE, and put mask on immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom