What is your best anti-fog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlanDeep:
Scott M
Send me your address and I'll send you a free sample of Fog-Not.
I guarantee it will work for you. It's a whole new approach to the anti-fog problem.
http://fog-not.com
I'm sorry for these commercial posts, but it works! Really!

Alan
Fog-Not
PADI AOW

Started to buy some fog-not from the site and it went instantly to a PAYPAL screen. I am very wary and didnt complete the transaction because of this due to being scared it was a scam to get my PAYPAL info. Anyone had any experience with fog-not using the PAYPAL screen? Thanks.

Ron Brandt:
Shampoo,water and a couple of drops of windshield wiper fluid.

Ron

Ron, do you mean regular windshield wiper fluid (outside), or the chemical which is used for the interrior of the wind shield?

I've been using toothpaste, split, it's pretty good... but I'm still looking for something which would last. When I heard that split and toothpaste are not working at all for other divers, my instant thought was, would it be related to other factors like, water temperature, the humidity of the trapped air within the mask (not exactly what we exhale but the air surrounding before we put on the mask) or some other factors? Just wondered.

I still go with the natural method - spit. It works for me and I have three reasons why I do it this way:

1. It's cheapest.

2. One less thing to carry and maintain a supply of.

And most important:

3. Ecology - the seas have been polluted with enough chemicals, I don't feel like adding to it.

And also, I don't have to worry about how it affects my eyes. No matter how well tested other substances are, the spit has been tested since the early days of man.

ScubaDiving.com did a semi-objective testing of most of the various defogging agents recently. They included spit, toothpaste, shampoo and several of the commercial defoggers. 500 PSI and Sea Gold and one other were the best performing. Almost everything worked to some degree, but these 2 came out ahead. Interestingly, Johnson's Baby Shampoo was close to these 3! Most performed better than spit, but then again I don't think they used as wide a sample of spit as we have on this board. <grin> I use 500 PSI and it works great for me, even on multiple dives.
500 PSI also make a Mask Scrub product that solved a problem I had with a difficult to clean mask. You may have to scrub long and hard, but it removes the coating that prevented other defogs from working.

Ahhh...I found the link...
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/gear_bags_and_accessories/defogs_demystified/

thomjinx:
ScubaDiving.com did a semi-objective testing of most of the various defogging agents recently. They included spit, toothpaste, shampoo and several of the commercial defoggers. 500 PSI and Sea Gold and one other were the best performing. Almost everything worked to some degree, but these 2 came out ahead. Interestingly, Johnson's Baby Shampoo was close to these 3! Most performed better than spit, but then again I don't think they used as wide a sample of spit as we have on this board. <grin> I use 500 PSI and it works great for me, even on multiple dives.
500 PSI also make a Mask Scrub product that solved a problem I had with a difficult to clean mask. You may have to scrub long and hard, but it removes the coating that prevented other defogs from working.

Ahhh...I found the link...
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/gear_bags_and_accessories/defogs_demystified/
Interesting... but then I read the article.

This is our third test of mask defoggers in 10 years, and as before we found that most (but not all) of the commercial products do work considerably longer than the free one, the best lasting the equivalent of three dives compared to one-and-a-half for spit.

Um, I don't know about you, but 1 1/2 dives is about a half a dive longer than I need my spit to defog my mask. I defog at the beginning of each dive. So what's the idea here, you need to have your defog last through 3 dives, and carefully handly and care for your mask between dives to maintain it's defog, instead of just spitting on the thing once at the beginning of each dive? This makes no sense.

Spit all the way.

Hi everybody!

For those who use Johnson's Baby Shampoo, do you dilute it with some water, or use it full strength out of the bottle?

Thanks,

TOM

I challange anyone's spit and put my Fog-Not up to comparison with any anti-fog on the market. It's not a sufactant, it's not alcohol, propylene glycol, not soap, won't sting your eyes, is natural.

Send me your address and I'll send a sample free.

My PayPal screen is not a scam.

Try this thread:
http://www.ScubaBoard.com/showthread.php?p=1654559#post1654559

Here are some testimonials from returned Fog-Not web surveys:
---------------
Name: Jeremy
level: AOW dives: 35-40
favorite: Fog-Not

Previous method: Beside Fog-Not, the next best solution that I trust is Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo mixed 50/50 with water. Some complain of and irritated eye, but the "no tears" logo on the bottle would suggest otherwise, it works, but I like Fog-Not much better.

Test location: Home pool for 1 hour water: 85 air: 75
mask: XS Scuba, Tusa, Sherwood lenses: Glass

I compared Fog-Not against the 500psi defog mixture, using brand new masks. Within 5 minutes the 500psi brand was showing signs of fogging. At about 10 minutes the fogging was terrible. I repeated the same experiment with fog-not and after 40 minutes I saw no visible signs of fogging. Nothing! Just perfect clear masks! Works way better than it should!

Best mask defog solution on the market. I've tried everthing, this is the best.
Is Fog-Not better: Yes
Would you buy: Cause it works like you say it will.
Would you recommend: absolutely!
-------------------------------------------
Name: Corey D.
level: open water dives: 17
Current favorite: Baby Shampoo
Previous method: Just spray on, rub around and let dry. Dip in water before dive good to go.
Test location: Cooper river South Carolina water: 56
mask: Posedien 3d lenses: Glass

Worked very well. I will be buying some more.
Lenses when applied: dry
sprays: Wiped with sample
irritation: NO better: Yes buy: Yes recommend: YES
--------------------------
Name: R Michael S.
level: EAN, DP
Current favorite: It's now FogNot, Otherwise I used whatever was available at my LDS
Previous method: I used spit for many years but over the past few years it lost its effectiveness.
Test dates: March 2006 Test location: -Nubble Light, York ME (USA)
water: 35F air: 20F mask: don't recall lenses: Plastic
well: Works very well.
Lenses when applied: dry
smell: Not unpleasant irritation: No irritation

Comments: Very nice product. Easy to apply. No more tears :)
better: Yes buy: I did.
Would you recommend: I did (www.scubadiving,com and www.scubaboard.com)
-----------------------
Name: Randy Osgerby [yes, the photographer]
level: Adv dives: 600
Do you normally use toothpaste: On new mask only
Current favorite: 500 psi
Test dates: Jan 13-20, 2006 Test location: Maldives water: 81 air: 84
mask lenses: Glass
Did Fog-Not work well: pretty well, lasted 2-3 dives
sprays: usually 2 smell: neither pro nor con irritation: no
Is Fog-Not better: maybe a little
Would you buy Fog-Not: yes
Would you recommend: yes
----------------------
Sorry for the long post but just try Fog-Not, it works!
Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom