What is your best anti-fog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aic007:
Actually now that you mention the burning It reminded me of when I bought my Mares mask in Italy. The guy in the shop proceeded to pull out a lighter and put it to the inside of the mask and run it back and forth. I asked the guy why and he said to help keep it from fogging. Just be careful not to keep the flame in one spot and definately avoid the silicone. After that I used toothpaste and spit and it worked like a charm. gotta try it on my new mask, thanks for that xander.

NP, glad I didn't scare you, like the previous guy. :)

This should be done only once, though, on a new mask. After that, every 10 dives or so, a good toothpaste rub, and inbetween only spit.

Textbook example of KISS model.

BTW, if it matters, I use mint flavoured toothpaste with microgranules and zinc citrate fluor (both my mask and teeth are happy with the selection). :)

I had a discussion, about a year ago, with the mares rep, about mask fogging. It seems that the silicone used in mask skirt can take up to a year to fully "cure". During this curing process, vapors accumulate on the glass and leave a residue that tends to fog despite the use of anti-fog ( incuding spit and baby shampoo). An initial scrubbing with a gritty toothpaste or soft scrub will remove the deposits and make the anti-fog much more effective. It is important to scrub the lenses regularly until the curing process is complete. On older masks, the problem can be facial oils or other contaminants, so a good, regular scrubbing can go a long way.
For me, regular cleaning and any commercial defog works great. I use sea drops because they are cheap and I keep several bottles scattered around so I don't forget them.

Last Saturday, an instructor suggested me the burning method for my girlfriends new mask, but I was a bit skeptical about trying it in a new mask, you know flames and silicone rubber don't mix well, but after reading this from another part of the world, makes me think about it.

If the burning thing works for people, go for it, but lately in the pool with students I've had luck with a little sea buff, followed by one good application of that 500 PSI defog. I use them cause they're free for our use in the pool. The students havn't complained or fogged yet.

OK, I just went through darn near every post on scubaboard searching for a better way to keep my masks from foggy. I think a lot of why some people have success with some methods while others do not is because we are all different. For me I am very hot blooded and can fog anything in no time flat. My masks fog so bad in pictures you can not see my eyes. So what to do? Well part of the problem is after many of the "fixes" you almost have to dive to find out if what you are doing works. That was until I read the post from someone a little earlier in this thread that said simply breath into the mask (Duh) and see if any fog occurs for more than a few seconds.

So lets test the some of the recommendations: First I tried the toothpaste scrub, over and over and over. Nothing, breath and it fogs. Next I tried toothapste and then rinsed with white vinegar, breath and it fogs again. Repeat, same results. Now I'm getting frustrated. I have tried most of all the commercial defogs with no success, Gold worked better than most but barely. Spit is a joke for me, lasts about ten seconds once under water. Let's try the burning, I was apprehensive about burning my mask but what the heck I'm fed up so why not. Got a lighter and burned lightly, wiped away the carbon and breathed, no fog....huh, so I breath some more and some more, still no fog.......I'm telling you I can fog anything. The burning worked for me. If your having fog trouble, try it!

Thanks for the tips.

Scott M
Send me your address and I'll send you a free sample of Fog-Not.
I guarantee it will work for you. It's a whole new approach to the anti-fog problem.
http://fog-not.com
I'm sorry for these commercial posts, but it works! Really!

Alan
Fog-Not
PADI AOW

Ok, I thought this thread had "spittered" out, but I guess not.

Here is a method I have been testing recently, and it seems to work well.

Crest toothpaste. Place some in your mouth and slosh it around... then spit it out into your mask. The best of two recommended solutions...:D

I have found that a good cleaning with a window cleaner and then when in the water spit. This seems to keep my mask clear.

Tried spit, 500psi, toothpaste, baby shampoo, and Sea Drops to no avail. Finally tried some Sea Gold and its the only thing that works for me.

For me, I stick with toothpaste. Crazy, but I even have it in my divebag tonight for tomorrows dive!

Back
Top Bottom