What is your all time favorite SB thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, this is not the first time this topic has been raised. And at the risk of sounding utterly humorless and intolerably prim, it always makes me sad that the threads which are brought up are all funny ones. There is SO much good information here . . . there are so many threads full of good advice and thought-provoking discussion, that it disappoints me that what always comes up here is what makes folks laugh.

HERE is one of my favorite threads. It gave me enormous pause when I was a new diver, and the methodical approach to problems presented in the thread is what first impressed me about Diver0001, who has remained one of my favorite posters over the last 8 years.

A slightly different perspective.

My favorite SB thread is the one that caused me to join and become an active poster.

Roatan is our home, in terms of our backyard favorite... and we did own property there, too. Back in 2002, a Honduran licensed dairy plant was producing cheese that was leading to many visitors at various resorts having severe intestinal distress.

The root cause was quite a detective case, no one suspected food products from a licensed and inspected plant. All of the resorts on Roatan were struck with guests having the obvious result of ingesting something bad, but these symptoms can come from many widely varying causes. Coco View took the ownership of the problem and tapping into former guest who worked for the CDC, they actively pursued where this then ongoing problem originated. I saw a lot of this effort first hand, being a frequent habitue of CCV.

Before the Cheese causation was finally determined, one very vocal and (until then) well-respected poster on Scuba Board took notice of the commotion caused by CCV pursuing the case. He always had alluded to some of his "medical" training and professional background, and as he posted about "The Trouble at CCV", his writings here and in a lesser SCUBA related print pamphlet became entirely directed at the one resort- the one resort actively trying to ferret out the actual cause. In one of his writings, he specifically ruled out cheese and all dairy products as being inconsistent with the symptoms.

I knew the real story- I know that all resorts were being affected. But here he was, grabbing internet notoriety with his medical expertise... which was way off. So that one individual, with that one thread of dubious scientific value... that's the thread that made me join SCUBA Board.

Since then, I have expanded my participation in an array of other threads. In that there are any number of real-deal experts who read and write here, I usually let them speak to real questions. I tend to limit myself to more smart-assed social commentary, stuff that comes easily at my age and after 56 some years of sucking compressed air... nitrogen brain lesions and all of that. I was, after all, a survivor of Usenet RecScuba.

As a side note, I used to exercise every possible opportunity to insert the famous underwater images of Jaqueline Bisset in any post where I could find the least reason to do so. I understand that this used to interest many SB Mods. That's a good thing, they should be entertained.

That one single mis-informed poster who was later proven to be categorically wrong in so many ways- he led me to the opportunity to meet (over the internet) so many interesting persons, and some of which I have been lucky enough to meet up with at many of the consumer dive shows, DEMA, and (brace yourself)... while actually diving! He also caused me to sign everything I write with my real name... and NOT give out any medical advice (not that I have a medical degree, either) :rofl3:

You will see that I have been certified as a real-deal Certified Internet Diver, by another good SB member who I was also lucky enough to F2F with. That one ugly thread has done me a lot of good.

Thanks for the reminder TSandM.. I followed your link and found I had already liked that post... :giggle: I think it may be when I became a converted Diver0001 fan too! Speaking of becoming fans... somewhere there is a link to a site YOU provided about equalizing.. I believe it was a doctor in the University in Seattle doing the talk and also showed what his daughter's ear looked like when she equalized.. could you provide the link for that here too.. that is such a valuable video!

HERE is one of my favorite threads. It gave me enormous pause when I was a new diver, and the methodical approach to problems presented in the thread is what first impressed me about Diver0001, who has remained one of my favorite posters over the last 8 years.

So humbled. After all these years, so humbled to still be on the radar of someone whose performance and level has risen to eclipse mine.

I should start an update to that thread that covers what we've learned in the last 8 years of training divers and to integrate the lessons we learned from the rescue we did in 2008. Someone recently PM'd me to ask me to showcase my philosophy about training for emergencies but I've been much too distracted with 55 hours a week of real-life and chasing around behind some of the usual suspects to push back their bizarre world views (which are like honey to me since I dread newbies getting on that bandwagon). I haven't had time (or energy) to sit down for long enough to make a coherent post about it.

R..

Bowlofpetunias, the video you are talking about is HERE. It wasn't a thread, although it has certainly been linked in many.

A couple more. THIS thread starts out slowly, but read through it (it's worth it)-- there is a bunch of good information on decompression that comes out as it goes along.

THIS thread did a lot to convince me to take Fundamentals. (Be sure to read the OP's posts through #59)

And THIS one is the first of about ten that recount Ken's experience with the Fundies class. I read them all. They are both funny and instructive.

There were a number of threads from Uncle Pug that got lost with some of the various board crashes -- a shame, because he was always a thoughtful voice. And I desperately miss Doc Intrepid, who, though he didn't start many threads, was always there with a pithy and usually very funny comment to bring things back to earth.

Last edited:
My favorite thread is the camera found in Florida which came from Aruba or something, that a turtle some how activated the recording function until the battery died. Then eventually the camera was reunited with its owner through all the detective work of the forum users.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom