What is your all time favorite dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't think of JUST ONE! Not in any particular order:

The wall off of Cane Bay, St. Croix.
The Princess Anne in West Palm Beach-one HUGE bull shark!
The Niagra in Tobermory-just a perfect dive.
Diving with Uncle Pug-an amazing weekend.
The Pinnacles in SABA. In fact, all of SABA.

I've heard SABA is GREAT. Landing at the airport is supposed to be a trip in itself!

Tough call but probably The Clermont Lounge in Atlanta. Overweight middle-aged strippers, no cover, a bouncer who looks like he just walked off the set of The Adams Family, and mostly nice people.

First dive at Darwin's Arch, Galapagos...

dropped to the rocks at 85' hoping to see hammerheads. After positioning ourselves to be inconspicuous (except for the bubbles)...we could see shadows at the very limit of visibility. The HHs were a little skittish at first and stayed out in the blue, but slowly over 10 or 15 minutes, they started to come in closer and cruise about.

One, then two, then five, then twenty, then forty hammerheads...they were thick in places. One stopped at a cleaning station near us and was just vibrating while it hovered in place as the cleaners were darting into its mouth and gills.

While enjoying the shark parade, it suddenly got dark. Assuming a cloud was passing in front of the sun, I casually glanced up to see the bottom-side view of a 40+-foot whale shark. Several pilot fish almost as large as me covered its tail, the immense size of this fish was hard to comprehend for a few seconds. My brain tried to process it as another hammerhead at first...uh, no.

As the whale shark glided motionless in the deep, everyone was high-fiving and acting giddy...on the way back to the boat, we were passed by a group of 20 eagle rays. Absolutely sensory overload...

Cyclon-300,

GREAT dive report! I was in the Galapagos back in 1990 but wasn't there for the diving. I did manage to borrow some gear from the captain and had a blast with some sea lions and an enormous white spotted eagle ray. Have you done Cocos? Lately I'm leaning on that trip but the Galapagos is definately a lot easier to get to and truly a wonderful archipelago.

Jason

Jack McKiney's Wall - East End, Grand Cayman
The Maze - East End, Grand Cayman
Doj Ojos (cenote) - Akumal, Mexico

1. Three tank dive with Fifi at French Cay Turks & Caicos. More eagle rays than you could count. Three or four turltles. Six or seven reef sharks. Great wall. Not a cloud in the sky.

2. Last day at Bloody Bay Wall. Puttering around at 130 feet. Turned around to see an eight foot reef shark close enough to touch. Come back up through a chimney that started at 100 feet and came out on the reef at 25 feet.

3. Palancar Gardens in Cozumel. Schooling fish in a bait ball that you could swim through. On the other side was a cave with a huge grouper hanging in the back. Met a turtle in a cave swim through. Drifting through eden.

4. The next dive.

In almost 25 years of diving, I have been fortunate to have had many, many great dives all around this blue planet. I have also been involved with caving for about the same number of years.

My best dive ever was the first time I dove Dos Ojos in Mexico. It was the first time in a real cenote, not some muddy sump in cave, and it brought together two very important things, caves and diving! What a rush!

Proper training is paramount to doing any kind of cave diving, however, there are many great operators in and around Puerto Adventuras, Cancun, Coz, etc., who can take you on a cavern dive and give you a taste of things that are truely "out of this world"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom