What is your all time favorite dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depth Gauge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there,

What is your all time favorite dive? You know that day when the conditions were perfect, the sun just shined so, beaming across the reaf, a marine life encounter, etc.

I've been diving since 1986 and have been to a number of locations on the global map. Mine has got to be, somewhat surprising, in Cozumel. My x and I and another couple headed south island in a fast boat from the Presidente. Our divemaster with SCUBA DU, Paco, who is not longer there, said he wanted to take us to his favorite place, where not many visit. We arrived at Cedral Wall.

There was just something incredible that day. First of all the reef is pristine, healthy and packed with fish. The sun was strong but not overbearing. The water VERY calm. We dropped down to the lip of the wall and the visibility was absolutey the best I've ever seen in Cozumel. It was perfect. I felt I could see to infinity and we just glided along the most untouched healthy reef I have ever seen on the island. After we surfaced it was all just smiles, smiles, and more smiles. Love those days!!!!!!

Jason

Depth Gauge once bubbled...
Hey there,

<snip>

Jason

My favorite dives have mostly been night dives. Nothing compares to slipping into the dark water on a calm quiet night under a beautiful star filled sky. I've had some interesting dives at night too. I once had a crab grab on to my light and ride around for 1/2 a dive just hanging there. On other night dives I've had seals swimming around me and even between my legs, dancing around in the light and eating the shrimps that jump away from the light beam. Surfacing after these dives always gives me the feeling of complete relaxed satisfaction. Nature's massage.

R..

Sounds like a cool dive Diver0001! I did a night dive in French Caye this summer that was incredible! Getting into the water anchored off the wall, sharks everywhere, blackness, descending, reading my computer. Eary and WILD!!!! I felt like a pilot on instruments descending to the wall. LOVED that dive! Where did you dive at night with seals?

Jason

Depth Gauge once bubbled...
Sounds like a cool dive Diver0001! I did a night dive in French Caye this summer that was incredible! Getting into the water anchored off the wall, sharks everywhere, blackness, descending, reading my computer. Eary and WILD!!!! I felt like a pilot on instruments descending to the wall. LOVED that dive! Where did you dive at night with seals?

Jason

I used to live in Vancouver in Canada. There are many sites up and down the coast where you can dive with seals. They seem especially friendly at night. I think the light attracts them.

R..

(At the risk of being accused of self-promotion, here's a shortened selection from an article I wrote about a liveaboard in the Southern Red Sea last August)

Fish soup at St Johns Reef

St Johns is one of those dive sites with almost mythical status. The area is the farthest south that Egyptian boats can go and hence, the feeling of privilege that comes with the distance . My first dive here surpassed all expectations. Descending from a line at 20 metres and traversing an upper section of reef, there is an area that takes your breath away.
Here, the meeting of powerful currents brings together an amazing array of fish of every shape, size and colour. It’s not only the variety of life but the numbers that makes this a visual overload. Visibility was 40 metres with the only obstructions being the massive wall of tiny fish. The small orange anthias were swirling everywhere along with blue basslets and it really was like getting lost in a multi-coloured confetti parade. Striped dascyllus were swimming great circulars while shoals of silvery fusiliers and barracuda went about their business. Looking over a huge overhang, I mistook a passing Napoleon Wrasse for a shark because it was just huge (over a metre).

Being on Bloody Bay wall, and diving with a Manta.
Being in the Red Sea at a site with lots of soft coral and watching the DM wressel two gigantic eels.
Being at Sodwanna Bay South Africa while diving, my wife signaling me to look at the biggest RaggleTooth approx.(14ft.)
Diving with Fifi off West Caicos.
Diving StingRayCity Grand Cayman and having a big green moray go in one side of my BC and out the other
Diving with my son on his first dive trip in Tobemory on wrecks.
Diving with my youngest son at the Brac, on the Russian wreck having a video dive and a dophin comes and plays with us for the whole dive.
Diving in Thunder Bay wreck preserve at Alpena Mi. on the "Grecian"
Diving in Cozumel and having the current separate 3 of us out of nine, when we came up the boat was not even on the horizon.
Diving in the Red Sea and having a down current take my wife and I instantly down to 110 feet.
Diving in the Bahamas and watch a buddy panic because he was low on air, fortunately nothing happened.

Now, how could I possibly choose one of these dives as the best or most memorable? :confused:

Caymaniac

My favorite dive was March 8th 2002. It was in Cozumel, and it was on the C-53 Wreck.

Try it you'll like it!

:sunny:

Love the stories!!!! Thanks guys! Would love to hear more! Come on everyone!

Jason

Last week in the Bahamas, I was at Golden Key, a shallow reef site where I saw 5 eagle rays over two days. One circled us a few times at close range and then swam off. Beautiful, graceful creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom