What is your all time favorite dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was about to go for a night dive off Alor (southern Indonesia), the dive guide asked me if I had a full roll of film, "No", he said to get a fresh roll in or I would regret it! We saw 2 small reef cuttlefish (one I haven't been able to find the identity of, the other one had a Damsel fish in it's mouth); 2 decorator crabs; a beautiful juv. Pinnate batfish; 3 blue stripe pipefish; 5 kinds of nudibranchs; a longnose hawkfish; juv. harlequin sweetlips; banded sea snake; flashlight fish; flame fire shell; windchime urchins; various urchins; juv. scorpionfish; 4 pluerobranchs; 2 kinds of brittle stars; 2 reef crabs; etc. - WOW! And most of my pics turned out just great - and people wonder why we like to go diving (probably the same people who watch 'reality' TV)!!!

There's two dives that come to mind. Though I haven't dived much i'm lucky enough to have been to some pretty good Spots
SIPADAN: I stayed on Sipadan Island for three days, and it comes as no surprise that the diving here is amazing. As soon as you are in the water, just off the beach in Front of Borneo Divers you will see more turtles than you have probably seen in your life! 20 in one dive is normal.
The last dive of my stay was the best, a blue water drift. We started off close to the Island and soon we were drifting through a large school of Barracuda, then as we moved away from the island I spotted two Tuna, cruising effortlessly in the deep blue.
OSPREY REEF, CORAL SEA, FNQ, AUS:
This is my favorite place, the whole experience has a dreamlike quality.
My first dive there was the most memorable. From the surface, it didn't look like the vis was very good, there was quite a swell running and the conditions where choppy. As soon as I got my face in the water, I was blown away! I have never seen water that clear, except in a sinkhole. It must have been 75mtrs vis.The water was a deep, deep blue, and it was thrilling to think that the bottom was 1000mtrs below. Immediately I dropped down into a big school of barracuda, they swirled around me in a circular pattern. Grey Whalers and White Tips were everywhere, waiting to be fed. It was like floating in space, it was a surreal feeling that will be hard to repeat. I've got it on tape if anyone wants to see it.

My favorite dive is Southwest Point in Yonaguni, Japan. This is where the Phillipine and the East China Sea meet. The current is wicked but the water is crystal clear. You drop on a pinnacle at 95fsw that is surrounded by huge dogtooth tuna, Giant Trevally and tons of other critters after hanging on for dear life for a few minutes you release and float a few hundred feet off the bottom riding the current with the fish. (In January you are joined by schooling hammerheads) The best dives I have ever done on right there.....
And I get to go back this weekend!!!

...my favorite dive so far has been Director's Bay in Curacao. Wild colors, fish everywhere and saw my first Hawksbill there.

Beck

Batchelors Beach, Bonaire. First time I saw an octopus. My buddy was ahead and 2ft to my right, and as his fins passed a coral head it was like someone flipped a switch. Camo'ed right on top was an octo that flashed into a bright pinkish-blue color and made a display I'll always remember. Just too cool! Seemed like he/she was striking a pose just for me. Just wish I had a pic to show you.

Two favourite dives. 1st one was night dive at Sheraton Beach, Jeddah. The temp, company and bouyancy was just so right, the time flew by. 84 minutes later, we surfaced. It's not that we saw tons of rare and cool underwater life, but the dive itself was so relaxing, that that must rank as one of my two favourites. The other one was a boat dive on the Boiler Wreck, out of Jeddah. With 10L HP Poseidons, we dove a wall to 150 feet for two minutes, then went shallow to a canyon just past the wreck, with tons of little nooks and crannies to investigate. We could have gone on and on, but alas, another day. It was memorable for me because of the contrast from beginning to end. Starting off with an amazing drop-off to a relaxing search and discovery. The water was calm that day, no real current to speak of, and a great bunch on the boat that day. Even if you don't see amazing sights, sometimes it can still be a really cool dive. :)
---------------------
Greetings from the (other) Magic Kingdom.

My Favs would be

USS Aaron Ward - Solomon Islands, I was 18 it was my first solo dive, i had twin 100's on my back and two side mounts and i am only 5'2", i got down to 65meters so fast, i was inflating at 40 meters to slow up the descent, 2.5 hours later i emerged with a smile as wide as my height.

USS Kanawah Solomon Islands, Night dive to 50 meters, so wonderfully eerie and silent and lovely, really amazing

My son snorkelling at two years of age with me in Fiji this march at pleasure point, he lays on my back with his head int he water with mask and snorkel over my shoulder as i swim us around for 30 - 40 minutes at a time.

Diving with the hammerheads at the Cook Islands

My first night dive on the Fujikawa Maru when i was 14yrs old to 40 meters in Truk Lagoon with my Dad, way back then only the DM takes a torch and you just follow, so it was nerve wracking exciting, gorgeous, wonderful etc....

oh hell i could keep on going and bore you all to death at this rate so enough for now.

ASB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom