What is the other option for diving doubles beside bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen people use Rangers for small doubles. It can be done but I'm really not sure why someone would want to. A BP/W with harness (continuous or otherwise) is the way to go.

Thanks for the ideas. let be be clear. I love my backplate, even for single. I am moving to double and will be sure using backplate.

The reason I asked because my one of my usual buddy who also wants to do double (because I keep talking about), but he refuse to use switch to a backplate. He currently is using zeagle ranger, and he claim he can make it work for double. So I just want to see if not backplate, what is a legititmate setup.

More on this buddy, he basically is an anti-DIR, so no backplate, no long hose, not even agree to the default horizontal position in water (especially in safety stop). He basically doesnt see the "NEED" of doing these. I am giving up trying to convince him.

OK, let's take that as a given.

(secondly, an anti-DIR attitude usually stems from too much internet usage. I'm not DIR. But IMHO IRL, they play out to be reasonable people. :D)

The basic problem is more gas.

If your buddy is really that recalcitrant, ask him if he is capable of adding a 2" nylon crotch strap to his Ranger. If yes, then add a a tail-plate to same.

Half-way to sidemount. :thumb:

He can now half sidemount / half sling an 80. This will work.

After a while, he may discover full sidemount on his own. :D

Disclaimer: If you are primarily boat divers, sidemount may not be the best option. Backmount manifolded doubles may just work best to keep the boats happy.:(

So a backplate is DIR only??? :shocked2: Hmmm interesting concept your friend has! I look at a backplate as a means to an end :idk:

Not to turn this into a "bp/w vs. jacket" thread...I used a jacket BCD for the first few years, tried a Transpac, and liked it, then a backplate, and liked it more. When I went to doubles, it was a no brainer?!?!

AS I said in my earlier post, I've seen the adapters for doubles, and I wouldn't trust them...but let him take his own lumps....I'd be interested in seeing how things progress over time.:popcorn:

1) Backplate and longhose is not owned by DIR. Is he also anti-commonsense?

2)You need a new buddy.

I have never said bp/w, long hose is owned by DIR. I don't know where you guys get to this conclusion. The fact is DIR divers use them, but doesn't mean whoever uses them is DIR. They are logically not equivalent.

Most bp/w, long hose .... diver I have seem ended up going into tech/cave route. To many, including this buddy of mine, they think this setup is for advanced/tech/cave diving. They don't see the need of using the same equipment, which to them is old school, not featured enough especially for the $$, ugly ....

I sort of know where he got his influence from. He went to Philipine for a dive vacation. According to him, the DM their group hired as a tour guide had very good in water skill ... best buoyancy & control with only rental reg and jacket BC. The conclusion for him is long hose, bp/w ... (so called the tech setup) are not necessary. Ever since that, he is trying to do what that DM do, including doing safety stop upright with arms across in front of chest, and a few other "techniques" he picked up. Well those are for another thread.

Nothing wrong with his way of diving. He is still a conservative and safe diver. I still dive with him. We just have a different mindset now.

Funny thing is I don't even consider the long/short hose configuration a tech set up anymore either...I just think it's a logical way of doing things...IF my buddy gets into trouble, and I need to pass him my primary, or he TAKES me primary, my second is right there, BAM! (but I don't need to tell YOU that!)

I have nothing against jacket BC's or even the traditional way of set up, but when you see the other side, use it, and something "clicks" you just have to do it, period!

You're right, there is NOTHING wrong with the way he wants to set up, whatever works, really, and if it works for him, then great! It worked for me when I first started, and it STILL works for others who have 1000's more dives than I'll ever make. But the reason to NOT want to do something because it's "DIR" or "TECH" is just being shallow minded..Explore all options, and use what's best!

Am I still getting away with post #22? :shocked:

No, we plan on having an intervention! :rofl3:

Can't comment, don't know enough about sidemount, it looks like a good idea for the cave dwellers, and I've seen a few people using it at my local quarry. (Looks like a good back saving technique also!)

:D

No, we plan on having an intervention! :rofl3:....//...

Been tried before, turns out you have to catch me first. :rofl3:

......//.....Can't comment, don't know enough about sidemount, it looks like a good idea for the cave dwellers, and I've seen a few people using it at my local quarry. (Looks like a good back saving technique also!)
...//......

Turns out that lots of good ideas started out with the cave dwellers. You should join them, I did.

But seriously, it SHOULD work. I'm converting my old Knighthawk to SM, that's really why I posted. First one with a converted vest-to-SM ---> show the goods and win bragging rights. :D

Been tried before, turns out you have to catch me first. :rofl3:

Turns out that lots of good ideas started out with the cave dwellers. You should join them, I did.

But seriously, it SHOULD work. I'm converting my old Knighthawk to SM, that's really why I posted. First one with a converted vest-to-SM ---> show the goods and win bragging rights. :D

Hmmmmm...you MAY get me in a cavern, but it might take a bit to get me in a cave!

To quote Jimmy Buffett "a lot of good ideas started in a BAR!" :rofl3:

Yeah, Sheck got the ball rolling for a LOT of things we're using now, (as well as others) no lie there!!

I have never said bp/w, long hose is owned by DIR. I don't know where you guys get to this conclusion.

From this:

he basically is an anti-DIR, so no backplate, no long hose

I think many read that post as saying that because he opposes DIR, he won't use a plate or a long hose.

I suspect a different interpretation may be what you meant: he is the antithesis of DIR because, among other things, he uses neither.

On track?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom