What is the other option for diving doubles beside bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may have to cut me out of my harness. The size of the cuff rings on my drygloves to the size of the shoulder straps is hard enough to get in when I'm conscious. My harness is not tight either. Any tighter and I couldn't don the rig myself. It's rigged big enough to get the cuff rings thru by myself, but if I dove wetgloves I could still have it smaller and still have wiggle room underwater.

That's what most of the lads teaching in Thailand would do..... and if lucky, the female student might also get some diving instruction :wink:

Careful

B-Bangkok
W-Women
R-Really
A-Aren't
F-Females

The local version of the pre-dive safety check.

One of the things I am working out in my head now that PADI has a "Self-Sufficient Diver" course, is how to make sidemount work without the need for new harness BCs for students.
Good point. Many students (understandably and appropriately) don't want to invest a huge amount of money in a new rig in order to experience / sample something. So, I have added 4 extra regs (Zeagle 50Ds, picked up on eBay), and two OMS Profiles, to my gear inventory, to accomodate students. I configured the regs for SM, and the students can rent them for the OW SM class if they don't want to reconfigure their own regs, or if they don't have two regs. If they have a BP/W, I let them use a Profile, as part of the rental package. If they don't I let them use my Nomad, and I use a Profile with my BP. The other SM instructor in the shop, who co-teaches the OW SM course with me, has a Profile and a Nomad, and does the same.

Have you tried to sidemount dive the Seaquest?
No, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I mentioned it in the previous post as an idea to emphasize the flexibility of SM, and probably should have first documented for myself how well it works. :) So, I will take my Seaquest to the pool in the next week or so, with a couple of tanks, and see how it goes.

On the other hand, BP/W while nice for lots of things, fall down in some areas where Transpacs shine. No one ever has to get cut out of Transpacs, but in a Rescue class that's a give for rescuing a BP/W diver, apparently.

Not true, as long as the harness fits correctly and assuming the diver has no mobility issues.

That said, in a true rescue situation I would cut you out of whatever you were wearing - BCD, Transpac, BP/W. With an Eezcut Trilobite I would have you out of it faster than looking for all sorts of buckles and clips and straps. Especially while wearing 7mm gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom